Politics

4 lurkers | 212 watchers
Jan 2020
10:16am, 22 Jan 2020
210 posts
  •  
TommyK
I also thought it was mildly interesting that, not once did the interviewer refer to "Sir Keir Starmer", it was always just "Keir Starmer".

Knights of The Realm don't appeal in "The North"?
Jan 2020
10:20am, 22 Jan 2020
19,076 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Although they loved the 2nd Viscount Stansgate.
Jan 2020
10:50am, 22 Jan 2020
10,115 posts
  •  
larkim
@TommyK - no I didn't catch that; what was the appeal of Bojo to them?

I don't think Sir Kier likes the Sir. I was amused on The News Quiz a couple of weeks ago when Lucy Porter was talking about him - something along the lines of "He doesn't like to be called "sir", but I certainly would" , nudge nudge, wink wink ;-)

I don't think the "Mark D'Arcy" thing does him any harm either. Adds a bit of colour to him!
Jan 2020
10:56am, 22 Jan 2020
10,518 posts
  •  
Markymarkmark
Didn't he renounce his Peerage though, as soon as he could?

A man who knew and stuck to his principles. Even if you disagree with them, he was honest in that sense.
Jan 2020
10:56am, 22 Jan 2020
10,519 posts
  •  
Markymarkmark
About Wedgie-Benn, obvs! Not Sir Kier....
jda
Jan 2020
11:00am, 22 Jan 2020
6,179 posts
  •  
jda
Why does anyone need there to be a "stop Starmer" candidate? I accept there are always factions and potentially personal history with some of them, but apart from the brexit thing there doesn't seem a lot to hate about him. (I mean the brexit thing might be a turn-off for hardcore leavers, I thought he did a good job myself). He is solidly left without being loony, was much more loyal to Corbyn than many remainers despite significant disagreements. Also surely the biggest threat to the tories.

Anyway he's obviously going to win so all the hot air is a bit pointless :-)
Jan 2020
11:14am, 22 Jan 2020
19,077 posts
  •  
DeeGee
I met Tony Benn at a political conference for young people at Westminster Central Hall in what would have been about 1993. There were other keynote speakers there, too, like, I seem to recall, Edwina Currie.

They put Benn on to talk just before the lunch break for good reason. Once he'd finished, he sat on the edge of the stage, and shook the hands of, and chatted briefly to, anyone who wanted to come and speak to him.

The queue was out of the hall.

(In those days, of course, it was perfectly acceptable for young people to form their own political opinions based on what they read and watched without the adults educating them being accused of "indoctrination".)
Jan 2020
11:42am, 22 Jan 2020
3,500 posts
  •  
mr d
Ian Lavery calls for Starmer to stand aside so a woman can lead the party.

inews.co.uk

Although it has to be the right, or rather left sort, of woman. 🤣

Labour are a mess.
Jan 2020
12:06pm, 22 Jan 2020
10,117 posts
  •  
larkim
Grotesquely sexist from Lavery. "We've got a woman who is as strong as anyone in the party." To which we are supposed to be surprised, impressed?

It does sadden me that the Labour Party has seen two female Tory PMs go through without the Labour Party having a female leader - if it was a 50% chance each time, we've had Foot > Kinnock > Smith > Blair > Brown > Milliband > Corbyn, if it was a coin toss that would be a 0.8% chance of occurring (flawed stats I know, but you get the general point).

But promoting a woman to the position of leader simply due to her gender is just as sexist and demeaning of women, isn't it? By all means, if there is a 50:50 tie in the ballots, take a view that advancing equality in the UK would be supported by a female Labour leader, and there may be a cynical advantage in having Bojo face off against a female Labour leader for when he trips up, patronises her etc etc.

But surely women in the Labour Party are equals, not some niche group gaining positive discrimination over and above ability levels to earn the top job?
Jan 2020
12:23pm, 22 Jan 2020
211 posts
  •  
TommyK
"... no I didn't catch that; what was the appeal of Bojo to them.."

My take wasn't so much that they were pro-Johnson, so much as anti-Corbyn. (To be fair to them though, I was in and out of the room making dinner, so, I may have missed something.)

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.