Politics

7 lurkers | 212 watchers
Dec 2019
6:38pm, 21 Dec 2019
3,684 posts
  •  
run free
Here is a wonder. With the Tories now having a majority and no longer needing far right support, is it possible that Johnson could thus enable a softer Brexit.... and Tories could return to be a little more centre?
SPR
Dec 2019
6:41pm, 21 Dec 2019
29,817 posts
  •  
SPR
Chris - Interesting stuff. Would definitely like to see analysis on seats they lost in the North.
Dec 2019
6:41pm, 21 Dec 2019
849 posts
  •  
Roberto
It is possible RF however all the indications of the brexit legislation dont indicate that with the removal of workers rights, child refugees and ensuring in law about no extensions.
Dec 2019
6:54pm, 21 Dec 2019
3,685 posts
  •  
run free
So just to give them the benefit of the doubt that they don't want to crash with a No Deal simply to do a trade deal with the US... Is it possible that the no extension is because they will simply agree on either May's deal or Johnson's modified deal? Hence they feel sure about no longer requiring an extension but it also allows those hard Leave fractions within the population a psychological "end date"?
Dec 2019
8:02pm, 21 Dec 2019
1,972 posts
  •  
Canute
RF, when BJ got his large majority it did occur to me that if his goal is to ensure his own tenure as PM for 10 years, he might tack back to a more centrist position simply to serve his own interests. I was only slightly more optimistic that this would happen than I had been that Trump would become a president for the whole nation after his election. Trump rapidly demolished any such optimistic hopes for the US, and so far, BJ’s adjustments of the Brexit legislation (summarised by Roberto) suggest that I should not indulge in much optimism for the UK under BJ. I still do a hold onto a shred of hope that he will make some worthwhile, albeit self-serving, gestures toward northern England, but I am forced to agree with Chrisull that the best hope for the UK as a whole is the forging of a progressive alliance to contest the next general election.
Dec 2019
8:13pm, 21 Dec 2019
3,686 posts
  •  
run free
Ahh well trying to have some hope as well. The US-UK scenario looks much more grim. Though the way everything politically has been working out.... Guess should expect the worst.
jda
Dec 2019
8:59pm, 21 Dec 2019
6,017 posts
  •  
jda
Well, one optimistic take would be that Johnson would declare "brexit done", we could all pretend it was over, and continue in the transition for ever. It's not like the vast majority of brexiters would even notice.

However, tacking on the part about outlawing any extension gives the lie to that idea.

He's not after a soft brexit, don't delude yourself. He's just happy to let whatever happens, happen, and will blame the EU or some other random bogey-man if it all turns to shit. And his voters will lap it up anyway.
Dec 2019
9:19pm, 21 Dec 2019
4,006 posts
  •  
Raemond
I guess it's possible that the British mainstream media will be persuaded not to mention it when the bit about no extension is repealed (or a new Act is passed that says it's not an extension it's a new form of extra special close relationship where we get all the benefits without having to waste all those civil servant hours that were previously spent debating the petyfogging details of EU business), because using the B word will have been made a capital offence and it's all done by we can just get on with making old Etonians great again.
jda
Dec 2019
9:41pm, 21 Dec 2019
6,018 posts
  •  
jda
Other thing is, it's incompatible with all these great trade deals and selling off the NHS etc. So in fact it's pretty clear there is no plan for a softer brexit, in fact there is still no plan at all...they are just winging it with a few slogans.
Dec 2019
10:31pm, 21 Dec 2019
32,017 posts
  •  
LindsD
No plan? That sounds familiar....

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.