Politics

8 lurkers | 212 watchers
Dec 2019
4:02pm, 21 Dec 2019
9,337 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
There is a *lot* of money behind self driving vehicles. And it's a disruptive technology meaning the impact won't be clear until it's too late (look at s curves of technology adoption).

The early 'crashes' aren't representative of the progress made. The Tesla ones are because of human error (the system is more like an advanced cruise control rather than full automation but people have been treating like the latter).

There have been setbacks and there will be legaslative challenges but it will happen and it will decimate driving jobs
Dec 2019
4:14pm, 21 Dec 2019
7,021 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
I thought one of the issues is that all the testing has been in SW of USA so roads are block systems, very few road users who aren’t motor vehicles so maybe a partial success there but more diverse testing needed. Can it be adapted to narrow european roads with lots of street furniture, pedestrians and cyclists is the question?

No doubt fozzy knows more about this topic
Dec 2019
4:16pm, 21 Dec 2019
15,629 posts
  •  
Chrisull
SPR - Good question - I don't know.

My source is the data praxis report, which yields:

this tweet: "Labour lost 2,585,564 votes between 2017 & 2019. We have been crunching the numbers at, and I’m confident that less than half of the lost votes were Labour Leavers."

twitter.com

I can't find it in the report, sadly, but I can find this fascinating tidbit - more Labour Leavers defected to Remain parties than they did to the Brexit Party:

"Depending on turnout, we estimate that Labour Leave to Tory switchers were between 700,000 and 800,000 voters. Labour in the end retained only 60% of its 2017 Labour Leave vote; earlier in the campaign, it was doing even worse among this group.Nigel Farage made a great noise about targeting Labour Leave voters in the heartlands. But in the end, the Brexit Party was winning at most 6% of this group according to the MRP. Remarkably, Lauderdale and Blumenau estimate that a larger number – fully 8% of the 2017 Labour Leavers, more than 200,000 people – switched instead to Remain parties (the Liberal Democrats, the Greens or the SNP)"
Dec 2019
4:17pm, 21 Dec 2019
15,630 posts
  •  
Chrisull
But the implication is that Labour lost 1.7 million remain voters compared to 0.8 million leave voters... that is one hell of a difference.
jda
Dec 2019
4:20pm, 21 Dec 2019
6,015 posts
  •  
jda
"despite the fatality stats"

I think you mean, *because* of the fatality stats, which already show them to be safer than human drivers, even at the current experimental stage. Of course there is work to be done. But it's being done.

One possibly bigger problem will be the increase in traffic (congestion). Though not entirely clear how that will play out.
Dec 2019
4:21pm, 21 Dec 2019
15,631 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Yes jda, you're correct.
J2R
Dec 2019
4:42pm, 21 Dec 2019
2,499 posts
  •  
J2R
While in my more cynical moments I to tend to subscribe to jda's point of view, that the people are happy to be lied to, in brief optimistic spells I tend to think rather that it's naivety at work, they don't know that's what's happening. People still haven't really got their head around the fact that they are being lied to, blatantly, grossly, and shamelessly, by Government. It's a new development, pretty well kicking off in 2016, and they (and the media) haven't yet caught up. They still assume that they can give authority figures some credence, which is why Cummings has been able to get away with so much. With a bit of luck they will twig at some point and there will be a backlash. But such is the sophistication of the deception campaign now that it may not happen soon.
Dec 2019
4:54pm, 21 Dec 2019
1,971 posts
  •  
Canute
Chrisull, yes, I agree that a progressive alliance is the way forward. That is why we need sensible Labour and Lib-Dem leaders. I live a Lib Dem constituency where the Conservatives are the challengers and Labour are nowhere. I would be delighted if I could use my vote to support a progressive alliance.

I was dismayed by the pettiness of both Corbyn and Swinson when there was the possibility of a government of national unity toward the end of the last parliament. I would have liked to see Yvette Cooper lead it but would have been happy to see Ken Clarke in charge.

And I still exhort decent Conservatives to do all you can to arrest the degeneration of your party.
jda
Dec 2019
6:25pm, 21 Dec 2019
6,016 posts
  •  
jda
Re: lying. Witness Stander's behaviour in here. Repeating the same tired lies at every opportunity. Trump was doing this several years ago of course. The lie is a shibboleth to mark you out as an acolyte. The whole Brexit thing is slogan as cultural identity, it's why they can't actually give any credible arguments as to what it's supposed to achieve. You'd get more rationality asking <religion> why they <do religious ceremony>
Dec 2019
6:32pm, 21 Dec 2019
3,418 posts
  •  
mr d
And if you have pre-existing conditions? And large portions of the country can't afford it.

My Dad's half sister died treatable cancer, she couldn't afford healthcare as a working single mother.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.