Politics

3 lurkers | 212 watchers
Dec 2019
5:34pm, 20 Dec 2019
2,386 posts
  •  
B Rubble
I think we're kidding ourselves if we think that Boris Johnson didn't support May's deal because it wasn't Brexity enough. He didn't support her because he wanted to be PM, and it worked.
Dec 2019
5:35pm, 20 Dec 2019
25,052 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
Good point.
Dec 2019
5:37pm, 20 Dec 2019
9,334 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
simbil - i think there was a typo in your last post:

"...*wealthy* people are on average better off..."
Dec 2019
5:38pm, 20 Dec 2019
23,008 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
I think when people voted to leave the EU they were voting to leave the political, legal and legislative elements of the EU and, amongst other things, restore the primacy of UK law and, erm, stop freedom of movement. Which isn't to say they "all" voted for "all" of those things or even "any" of those things.

However, I seriously doubt any of them consciously voted to have working rights and protections, environmental protections and human rights protections taken away or eroded, which I believe is the end game of the right wing project once it has "taken back control of our laws and our borders".

I also seriously doubt they were consciously willing to trade off the union and the health of the economy against leaving: I know they "typically" say they think economic damage and the break up of the union are prices worth paying but I think that is the bravado of the teenager who thinks that sleeping under a motorway bridge is a price worth paying to escape from the tyranny of parents forcing them to load the dishwasher. It's just doubling down on a shit decision for no other reason than to avoid having to admit they made a bad call.

I suppose it is also partly because they think all the negatives of Brexit are just theoretical or fanciful and won't ever happen. Well, their beliefs are about to be tested.
J2R
Dec 2019
5:58pm, 20 Dec 2019
2,493 posts
  •  
J2R
JB: "the bravado of the teenager who thinks that sleeping under a motorway bridge is a price worth paying to escape from the tyranny of parents forcing them to load the dishwasher"

What a brilliant analogy! Brutal, but brilliant.
Dec 2019
6:17pm, 20 Dec 2019
2,520 posts
  •  
OTannenbaumMike
Yes, nice analogy.
Dec 2019
6:26pm, 20 Dec 2019
3,682 posts
  •  
run free
Yeah JB - leave the legislative elements of the EU that we had a part of and fall under the legislative elements of the USA with no say in the matter. But at least we left the EU.
jda
Dec 2019
6:33pm, 20 Dec 2019
6,009 posts
  •  
jda
It is very clear from conversations with some brexiters in my close family that they simply don't care about any impact on others, up to and including international families being broken apart, people losing jobs and even civil war in Ireland. Not their problem, any of it. I'd like to say that old age has narrowed their horizons but to be honest their horizons have always been pretty narrow.
J2R
Dec 2019
6:41pm, 20 Dec 2019
2,494 posts
  •  
J2R
I'm convinced JB's description above is right: "It's just doubling down on a shit decision for no other reason than to avoid having to admit they made a bad call". I can think of no other reason to pursue a course of action when all purported benefits have been shown up as illusory. And for the last year or two Leavers have even pretty well given up on trying to put forward any possible benefits anwyay, it's simply WWYLGOI.

The only thing I can think of is that they think the losses will be worthwhile to win the culture war, sticking it to the liberals. I can actually understand this a bit (although it's still idiotic), because there is a vein of preachy censoriousness on the Left which I can imagine really getting up many people's noses. If Brexit means they 'win' against those people, then they may consider it worthwhile (well, in abstract, until they actually fell the consequences).
jda
Dec 2019
7:02pm, 20 Dec 2019
6,010 posts
  •  
jda
What you're missing is that a whole chunk of people have spent their lives "hating Europe" for no particular reason other than that it's some sort of cultural identity or shibboleth.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.