Politics

15 lurkers | 213 watchers
Nov 2019
3:13pm, 11 Nov 2019
24,575 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
Farage wants Brexit. He knows the best way to get this is through the Tories. Don't stand against them. No brainer really. True also given the number of centrist Tories that have walked away.

I think the Lib Democrats have cocked up. Saying you will stop Brexit regardless is not exactly er what is the word...Ah Democratic...their previous position would have got my vote. They will not now.

Labour can indeed collapse. Renegotiate. THEN we decide what we support. What utter fucking nonsense.

I think it looks grim.

I am in one of those seats where I now have no choice except Corbyn fucking about, Johnson fucking about or Swinson fucking up.

Great.
Nov 2019
3:16pm, 11 Nov 2019
708 posts
  •  
Ally-C
I was under the impression that Farage had been saying for weeks that Johnson’s deal was shit & not Brexit.
Nov 2019
3:18pm, 11 Nov 2019
22,985 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Since when has logical consistency been a thing? :-)
Nov 2019
3:20pm, 11 Nov 2019
35,186 posts
  •  
Nellers
I know at least one Brexit party member who is a Farage sycophant and who has been shouting loudly that Johnson's deal is a sell out and only by opposing the Tories can a real Brexit be achieved. I wonder how he's feeling today when his political hero has seemingly completely changed his tune. I might go and ask him.
Nov 2019
3:33pm, 11 Nov 2019
2,363 posts
  •  
Fellrunning
Can't see how a political party adopting a policy as voted on at their conference putting it in their manifesto and inviting the electorate to vote for or against it is remotely undemocratic. If it is then the various iterations of the Farage party which have stood on a leave the EU ticket for the last 40 odd years in direct opposition to an equally democratic vote in favour of being in the EU were themselves guilty of being undemocratic.
Nov 2019
3:52pm, 11 Nov 2019
8,266 posts
  •  
simbil
Because the 17.4 million philosophers spoketh and it is now forever thus as their will is righteous. The 16.1 million heathens must speak not or be cast down and branded unjust, for their will is naught and their leaders false prophets.
Nov 2019
3:52pm, 11 Nov 2019
10,103 posts
  •  
Markymarkmark
Apart from the occasional personal satisfaction of rubbing a few Brexity noses in their Glorious Leader's doublethink (thanks for the idea, Nellers!) I'm really not sure it makes one iota of difference to most constituencies and most "normal people".

As HappyGrr has sort of pointed out, 90% of the population are either pretty thick or at least under-informed as to how the wider world works (self included, to some extent).

Democracy only works because most of the time the people in charge are basically good, nice people, or if they're not they're constrained by some kind of external code (noblesse obige, or moral outrage of others?). Unfortunately the majority of the population are vulnerable to manipulation by a small number of self interested people if they start small and only increase the size of their lies slowly.
Nov 2019
3:56pm, 11 Nov 2019
9,445 posts
  •  
larkim
(oops, spotted my typo - I meant "...the Tories and TBP can sign with one voice about Brexit...")

The tories could yet collapse under incompetence, but with leave voters *needing* a destination to cast their votes they have only one sensible choice in 317 seats.
Nov 2019
4:13pm, 11 Nov 2019
6,885 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
Just as cynical as the remain alliance for Green / Welsh Nationalists / Lib Dems.

Expect the cynicism to escalate.

Thought the “will you press the trident button” questions to Corbyn today were poorly timed and not the right day to make that point.
Nov 2019
4:27pm, 11 Nov 2019
8,267 posts
  •  
simbil
Blimey, surprised the Tories would draw attention to the fact that bumbling BoJo would have a nuclear capability at his finger tips..

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 R R

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.