Politics

12 lurkers | 213 watchers
Nov 2019
11:39am, 11 Nov 2019
35,183 posts
  •  
Nellers
I'm reading today that the BBC news report last night showed footage of Johnson from a previous Remembrance day instead of the footage from yesterday where he stepped out of line early to do his wreath then laid it upside down. I'm sure that was just an innocent mistake in the editing and not an attempt to cover for him.

And yes, WS. It's much easier (say in 140 characters) to say "This/They are the problem and I'll fix it" than it is to explain what the complexities of the real world situation are and how they can be addressed. EG "Lock them up and throw away the key" vs "Prisons are a really bad way of reforming criminals and there are a lot of alternatives that have better success rates. Also socio-economic inequality drives crime rates up so addressing that would have more...….see what I mean?
Nov 2019
11:41am, 11 Nov 2019
8,263 posts
  •  
simbil
Newspapers are probably still quite relevant as older voters (boomers) generally use their vote and are influenced by newspapers and scheduled tv more than anything else.
Nov 2019
11:43am, 11 Nov 2019
4,127 posts
  •  
Vancouver Jogger
My local conservative candidate keeps telling me (on social media) why I shouldn't vote for Lab or Lib Dem - but I don't think I've seen one post on why I should vote for him.
Nov 2019
11:44am, 11 Nov 2019
15,488 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Basically it pretty much doesn't matter what Labour do now anyway (as long as they don't totally collapse). They're gonna get between 180-230 seats, hopefully over 200.

The key is Tory remainers, and in how large a number they switch to the Lib Dems. And before you say no - ain't gonna happen, apparently it is happening, and there are signs in the polls and on the doorsteps that this is the case.

If enough switch (for the same reasons that Labour peeps are staying away, a) don't like the leader, b) don't like the stance on racism (anti -semitism/islamophobia and c) they feel it's too "radical" for them), they will stop Johnson getting a majority.

CAVEAT: There may not be enough at this election, but it seems there is a sea change happening right now and the next election after this is gonna be v interesting, regardless of the result of this one.
Nov 2019
11:51am, 11 Nov 2019
6,882 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
I would assume any manifesto is totally uncosted, largely unrealistic and has only a small chance of more than a fraction of it being implemented, it’s like the ultimate Father Christmas list.
J2R
Nov 2019
11:52am, 11 Nov 2019
2,388 posts
  •  
J2R
HappyG, yes, one would definitely imagine that all the new media would open things up somewhat, allow people to be better informed and hear a wider diversity of opinions as a matter of course. Sadly, I think it's had the exact opposite effect, locking people into their existing opinions by allowing them to live in echo chambers where they see the same opinions being expressed by what they take to be a variety of sources, whereas these sources are just being auto-selected as appropriate for them by the Twitter/Facebook/Whatever algorithms. So they think that "everyone is saying this", but in fact they're not.

I have to say I struggle against this myself, and have to keep deliberately striving to get outside the echo chamber so I can hear different viewpoints.
Nov 2019
12:23pm, 11 Nov 2019
15,489 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Farage just announced he won't contest ANY Tory seats...
Nov 2019
12:31pm, 11 Nov 2019
176 posts
  •  
TommyK
I missed the coverage, but, did the BP actually announce their 600-odd candidates last week?

Or is Farage now trying to make a virtue of the fact that he doesn't have viable candidates for most, if not all, of those seats anyway?
Nov 2019
12:43pm, 11 Nov 2019
58,370 posts
  •  
swittle
Mr Farage may be Chancery Lane bound....

edeandravenscroft.com
Nov 2019
12:44pm, 11 Nov 2019
18,946 posts
  •  
DeeGee
What, he's going to finally finish that degree he didn't start?

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 R R

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.