Politics

21 lurkers | 213 watchers
Nov 2019
10:50am, 8 Nov 2019
11 posts
  •  
Only here for the Joke thread
I fear this is too liitle too late. Bercow has been part of the larger problem that has seen the public becoming more and more disconnected with MP's and their game playing antics.
Nov 2019
11:08am, 8 Nov 2019
2,374 posts
  •  
B Rubble
Welcome back Stander.
SPR
Nov 2019
11:21am, 8 Nov 2019
29,652 posts
  •  
SPR
I can't see how allowing a government to force through an outcome against the majority of parliament is ever a good idea.

If the rules allow that then the rules need to change.
Nov 2019
11:29am, 8 Nov 2019
33,107 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
He's called Gamer on the Joke thread. Oh and it appears his profile has now been deleted!

Just to be clear, I refuted the accusation on joke thread that a Fetchie had been called a c*nt in the Politics thread. I only recall JRM being called a c*nt and didn't see anyone arguing about it!

We need a proper, written constitution that makes it clear what can and cannot be done by the government. The legal wranglings and interpretations of law have been very painful. But in an uncertain parliamentary environment I think Bercow steered a very principled course. Hoyle will be trying to clarify the rules. And that's no bad thing.
Nov 2019
11:29am, 8 Nov 2019
33,108 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
As long as he isn't just the government's poodle.
Nov 2019
11:30am, 8 Nov 2019
9,431 posts
  •  
larkim
It's not so much that the govt can force something through against the majority (because even those business motions would need to be passed by the majority), it's about getting either amended or new bills introduced without strong govt influence. So the govt gets to put down motions with "my way or the highway" as the options. In which case, the House has to consider the overall best route between a black and white option. Not necessarily wrong, but clarity from the Speaker would be well received I'm sure!!
Nov 2019
11:31am, 8 Nov 2019
22,888 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
I think a hung Parliament is bound to lead to a further period of uncertainty and unpredictability. We are 3 1/2 years in, with our 3rd Tory PM and our 3rd election in 4 years. At what stage will our political masters conclude that the game is no longer worth it? This has to stop soon.
Nov 2019
11:33am, 8 Nov 2019
33,109 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
PR and consensus politics is the answer. But who will propose it, when it means their party loses power?!
Nov 2019
11:33am, 8 Nov 2019
3,692 posts
  •  
Raemond
[It really did happen, G, but I think we've all more or less moved on now (including the mystery gamer/onlyherefor the joke thread/stander grey shadow, it seems), so no need to go over it again]
Nov 2019
12:11pm, 8 Nov 2019
33,110 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Ah, I missed that. I live in a happy bubble of not seeing any bad things. It's nice in my world! Thanks Rae! :-) G]

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
J2R 296 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
JamieKai 270 D R
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 R R

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.