Politics

16 lurkers | 213 watchers
Nov 2019
9:14am, 8 Nov 2019
33,100 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Lib Dems won't do coalition with Labour. They've been pretty adamant about that.

I agree, big risk is they might with Tories, but with a 2nd ref where they campaign for Remain and their coalition partners campaign for Leave with the BJ Deal? Weird!

SNP would do a coalition with Labour, I think to keep Johnson out? Not sure that Scottish IndyRef is the "price" though. SNP believe that whatever the government, if they can show that more than 50% of Scotland wants and independence referendum, then they can demand one and will use any means to challenge any government of the day to get one - courts etc.
Nov 2019
9:14am, 8 Nov 2019
9,430 posts
  •  
larkim
Labour has always been it's own worst enemy in terms of blatant, explicit criticism of a leader. The Tories do the same, but most often behind closed doors or couched in less directly critical language. We've had enough ministerial resignations under both Boris and May as evidence of that, so I don't think Labour should be too worried about the impact that a few individual MPs might have, even if their language does generate a little more in the way of direct quotes about leadership qualities.

Watson was very clear to stay out of that debate, which I thought was very measured and sensible of him, whatever he might privately think.
Nov 2019
9:16am, 8 Nov 2019
33,101 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Apparently Watson is going to concentrate on campaigning for "Health and Wellbeing after losing 7 stones in weight" according to The Metro (that font of knowledge!) :-) G
Nov 2019
9:21am, 8 Nov 2019
2,406 posts
  •  
TomahawkMike
The best candidate in my seat is the labour candidate - so oddly enough if labour aren't going to win the election in my mind I feel happy to vote for her as my seat is relatively marginal (2.5k to Tories at last election). May seem an odd way of looking at it but there is logic there. I would be concerned with Corbyn as PM but it's not gonna happen and he will be gone as a leader as soon as is administratively possible after the election. His position won't be tenable. I am still holding out for someone like Yvette cooper or similar to lead. Momentum have a lot to answer for.
Nov 2019
9:26am, 8 Nov 2019
33,102 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Mike, Corbyn will be gone as a leader because...? Because if they lose the election? They lost last time (sure, picked up more votes from a position of miles down historically, but still didn't win) and he stayed. Why would his position be untenable?
Nov 2019
9:26am, 8 Nov 2019
22,887 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
I find Swinson's opposition to a coalition with Labour quite baffling, because I've always thought they are the two most obvious coalition parties in Parliament. I will read the LD manifesto quite carefully I think because my feeling at the moment is that they have turned right under Swinson - hence why so many Tory defectors have jumped into bed with them. I know a lot of Labour lefties view the LDs as not much better than Tories these days so a coalition with them might be too much for Corbyn and the faithful to stomach.

I'm not convinced the SNP will have enough seats to make up for a loss of Labour seats tbh, because there still has to be a significant chance of Labour losing very badly indeed - less than 200 seats if they end up in a 4 party squeeze.
Nov 2019
9:28am, 8 Nov 2019
33,103 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Agree JB. Remember the Dem bit of the Lib Dem is Social Democrats who themselves were a centrist splinter off Labour in the 70s/80s (Shirley Williams et al). They are natural bed fellows with a centrist Labour party. But agree, Swinson is at the right of the Lib Dems and Corbyn as we know is way to the left of the Labour church. So I guess that's why they are antagonists.

Who knows which way the "Great" British public will swing?
Nov 2019
9:43am, 8 Nov 2019
2,407 posts
  •  
TomahawkMike
Happyg...you cant lose another election, have moderates leaving the party and all and sundry saying saying he isn't fit to govern and be the one blamed for an incoherent brexit policy and still lead a party. I can't see it happening. I also think he will fall on his sword anyway if they lose.
Nov 2019
10:08am, 8 Nov 2019
58,272 posts
  •  
swittle
iirc, Mr Watson was planning to complete a sports coaching course and support initiatives to counter type 2 diabetes. [BBC Today prog, I think].
Nov 2019
10:47am, 8 Nov 2019
4 posts
  •  
fetch=bercow
bbc.co.uk

might upset some people.....

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
J2R 296 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
JamieKai 270 D R
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 R R

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.