Politics

19 lurkers | 213 watchers
Nov 2019
10:13pm, 7 Nov 2019
22,884 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
2029: Priti Patel, the 6th Conservative PM since David Cameron, announces a snap election to "Get Brexit Done" after Parliament votes down the 5th consecutive Conservative Brexit deal.
Nov 2019
10:39pm, 7 Nov 2019
15,483 posts
  •  
Chrisull
I'm noticing that Tory remainers are a bigger thing than Labour leavers (far more of them). At the moment down the east and south of England, they are threatening to lump in with the Lib Dems. In which case both Tories and Labour could end up losing seats overall! They have been ignored. This could be Johnson's biggest electoral mistep.
Nov 2019
7:12am, 8 Nov 2019
12,648 posts
  •  
richmac
You're right the Chris odd how the MSM seem to only picked up on labour dissenters.

However Libdem/green/plaid pact all sounds pretty toothless. Swinson would be better off making overtures to labour target tham trash talking JC.
um
Nov 2019
7:59am, 8 Nov 2019
1,347 posts
  •  
um
2099 : The British PM goes to Europe to ask for an extension. No-one knows why, but it's an annual custom.
Nov 2019
8:19am, 8 Nov 2019
19,971 posts
  •  
TRO Saracen
2039. Jeremy Corbyn, at 90 the oldest party leader in history, declares we have 24 hours to save the NHS for the 5th election in a row.....
Nov 2019
8:42am, 8 Nov 2019
33,092 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Shocking that Ian Austin and Woodcock (can't remember first name) ex-Labour are urging Labour voters to vote Tory.

Pretty damning language about Corbyn "not fit to be PM" and "terrifying prospect in charge of national security and defence" or similar wording.

That's the sort of thing that would really worry a lot of wavering, left leaning voters, I would fear?

I don't see how Labour can win. Best we can hope for is that Tories can't get a majorit either.

What do we think of the 60 seat Remain-pact of Greens, Plaid Cymru and Lib Dem not going against each other. Will that lose Tories a few more? Swinson is clearly not happy to have anything to do with Corbyn.

While it might not be very pragmatic, ignoring the largest opposition party, at least she's sticking to her principles. Had there been a centrist labour leader like Blair, she might have been happy to engage.

Wonder how many Scottish unionists might vote Tory now that Johnson has made the "not another Scottish independence referendum, not ever" pledge?! :-) G
Nov 2019
9:03am, 8 Nov 2019
22,885 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
I do find it somewhat ironic that many people are happily buying into the proposition that "Jeremy Corbyn and his left wing policies will wreck Britain!" when all the actual evidence of the last 4 years is that Boris Johnson and his right wing policies actually ARE wrecking Britain.

I doubt the history books will be kind to those of us who have facilitated this utter clusterfuck.
Nov 2019
9:04am, 8 Nov 2019
33,098 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I agree JB, but when internal factions of (ex-) Labour come out and say he's not fit to govern, it's pretty damaging. Granted, it could just be sniping for disgruntled former employees. :-) G
Nov 2019
9:08am, 8 Nov 2019
6,880 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
I don’t really think other parties standing aside so one of them has the best chance of winning is a particularly good example of democracy in action. Reducing what should be a contest involving debate over many aspects of life down to broad coalescence over a single issue isn’t healthy in my view and not necessarily what “the people” want.
Nov 2019
9:10am, 8 Nov 2019
22,886 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
I also think the best to hope for is a hung Parliament at the moment.

If it is a hung Parliament and the Tories are the biggest party, then what? Another election is out of the question. I would not rule out the Lib Dems going into coalition again on the condition that a 2nd ref is put in place. But really I have no idea what would happen, unless Johnson tried yet again to get his deal through, counting upon the assistance of 20 or so Labour MPs. If he failed he would have to call a ref, wouldn't he? Dunno.

If Labour are able to stitch together a coalition with Lib Dems and SNP - big If - the price would be 2 referendums, it seems to me, and any idea of "re-negotiating" yet another deal would be dead as a duck. A 2nd ref would seem to me to be a shoo-in because it would be the Tory deal, which is now allegedly agreed by all of them vs Remain rather than some fantasia-deal as currently proposed by Corbyn.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
J2R 296 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
JamieKai 270 D R
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 R R

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.