Politics

16 lurkers | 213 watchers
Nov 2019
4:34pm, 11 Nov 2019
33,148 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Bound to bring up the nuclear question TMW. It's a powerful one. Not sure 11 Nov is day to do it, I agree! :-) G
Nov 2019
4:45pm, 11 Nov 2019
2,364 posts
  •  
Fellrunning
The obvious answer is that it won't really matter. If we ever reach that point we'll all be toast anyway. As my eyeballs melt I doubt my parting thought on this mortal coil will be "I hope Jeremy had the balls to press the button"

A stupid question generally asked by stupid people. Up there with asking Fallon if he believed the world was created in 7 days. The only answer it deserved (but didn't get) was "Oh fuck off"

What is it with the BP and Hartlepool. Bearing in mind the reputation of the good citizens of that town vis a vis monkeys and Frenchmen someone called Farage should tread carefully....
Nov 2019
4:55pm, 11 Nov 2019
709 posts
  •  
Ally-C
Always thought that too Fellrunning, who gives a toss if millions more get incinerated just because you and yours were?

Makes no difference to me when we’re just dust with a few cockroaches😀
Nov 2019
5:27pm, 11 Nov 2019
6,886 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
My view on the nuclear question is that one should always be prepared to press the button. Near to my house is the Region 6 war room which was designed to be a local bunker for government officials etc. What good it would have done who knows.

Ultimately if there’s a bomb already on its way there’s little point as you’re retaliating on behalf of dead people. If it’s a preemptive strike, then you’re striking on behalf of people who will shortly be dead.

The war game is on iplayer and gives a depressing insight into the practical outcomes of nuclear war. And Nevil Shute’s “On The Beach”.
Nov 2019
5:39pm, 11 Nov 2019
2,365 posts
  •  
Fellrunning
It's once s bomb is on its way the idea of deterrence is gone. Ergo press the button or not you as the promulgator of the concept have failed.
Nov 2019
5:48pm, 11 Nov 2019
8,268 posts
  •  
simbil
True, but whoever has the finger that will press the button has to be believed that they would press it, otherwise no deterrent and may as well not have the weapon.
Nov 2019
6:46pm, 11 Nov 2019
6,887 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
Yeah simbil, that is the supposed issue with Corbyn as PM. Anyway wrong time to highlight it.

There’s a bit in the Magicians Nephew by CS Lewis which alludes to nuclear destruction.
Nov 2019
7:02pm, 11 Nov 2019
8,269 posts
  •  
simbil
The truth is that mankind has been killing each other with fists and any tools that superseded them since its first days.

CS Lewis Aslan's warnings of weapons of mass destruction aren't really the heart of the issue, technology just adds to the scale and pace of the problem and Aslan's warning of being ruled by those that 'care no more for joy and justice and mercy' is arguably the more serious part of the warning.

Wonder which of our current batch of potential leaders care more for joy and justice and mercy than the others?
I'd have to say t's probably the greens :)
Nov 2019
7:51pm, 11 Nov 2019
22,889 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
Anoylther depressing day for people who want politicians to at least be in the same ball park as honesty and principle. We are in Trump world now - almost any level of deceit and dishonesty will be tolerated by the believers. Politics has been reduced to a win at all costs game. This can never end well. Five years of heartlessness, incompetence and mendacity is the price we are all about to pay.
Nov 2019
8:28pm, 11 Nov 2019
15,492 posts
  •  
Chrisull
G - defending and gaining is different. Defending means getting the people who voted for you last time to vote for you again. Gaining means changing minds and that is harder. Doesn't matter that the former isn't also difficult, just it is less difficult.

There will be no Labour surge, because anti-semitism. Yes Labour can collapse below 180, but given that they didn't in 2017, it seems unlikely 2 years later that they will now. Not that much has changed. 500,000 members counts for something... if not remotely close to an election winning amount of seats, it is still votes and a lot of amplification on social media and feet on the ground campaigning (I had never seen Labour campaignin in this constituency until the last couple of years, knocking on doors. Young and enthused by Corbyn).

Corbyn is in his element now, and it will focus minds ultimately, Johnson hard Brexit, or Labour heading a coalition. Those are the choices. I don't mean there will be a hung Parliament, but for those who feel they can't vote for either, there will be many who can.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 R R

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.