•  
Wriggling Snake
let me check
Nov 2019
12:51pm, 12 Nov 2019
9,247 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
WS. What was the comparable head to head for Corbyn vs May about 1 month before the 2017 election?

Not on that link you posted.

I think May was more popular then, than Johnson is now. Corbyn probably about the same or slightly down.
Nov 2019
12:57pm, 12 Nov 2019
24,593 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
No, I was just going back, can't find a comparable date, just yet, just before voting in 2017 it was 1/10 hung, 10/1 tory majority....I'll keep looking.
Nov 2019
1:07pm, 12 Nov 2019
24,594 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
found a similar one, 5 weeks before 2017

con majority 2/11
hung 6/1
50s bar i.e. any other result

so much more confident of may winning than Johnson is now, so May fell away, or Corbyn did well...I remember people being surprised at the vote, looking back it polarised, big tory vote, big labour vote.
Nov 2019
1:15pm, 12 Nov 2019
33,164 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Good price for hung! I might take that. Oh, that's before. Just 2/1 now? :-) G
Nov 2019
1:24pm, 12 Nov 2019
22,890 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
I "believe" Labour will be proposing a National Care Service for social care. I would like to think that will hoover up a lot of votes.
Nov 2019
1:26pm, 12 Nov 2019
33,167 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
And in answer to Ruth Davidson and conservatives in Scotland, tricky. I don't really follow Tory popularity, but in a straw poll of 1, I can say that my Mum says for first time in 100 years she won't be voting Conservative. She doesn't like Johnson. And she doesn't like Brexit. She's a bit of a weirdo though. German by birth, but now British citizen, so has affinity with Europe, obv. She'd never vote SNP (Scotland is part of Britain, you'll be glad to hear Bazo!) so I think Lib Dem will get her vote.

I'd say Ruth Davidson was an asset for Tories in Scotland. But I don't think they're as universally hated as they were for 25 years from 1979 onwards. Labour have lost so much support in Scotland it's just untrue.

Who knows?! :-) G
Nov 2019
1:29pm, 12 Nov 2019
15,495 posts
  •  
Chrisull
I didn't say Johnson was less popular than Corbyn. I said than May!! And if you start the popularity ratings from when she was first elected leader, not from the election campaign (as Johnson has a similar honeymoon bounce that he's arguably still in), she was better liked.

See here from 2016:

yougov.co.uk

vs here (not 100% the same thing (favourability vs approval) , but still):

en.wikipedia.org

You forget that when May was elected ahead of Johnson(who dropped out)/Gove there was a universal sigh of relief, as she seemed to be the most capable. It took a while for that to disappear (over a year later).

Johnson is still in his early days, which is keeping his ratings buoyed a little. Give it a year or two...
Nov 2019
1:35pm, 12 Nov 2019
6 posts
  •  
fetch the drinks please
news.sky.com

oops.....Labour have upset Hindu's aswell.....blimey...a swing of nearly 40 seats!

Who they going to upset next? :-)
Nov 2019
1:45pm, 12 Nov 2019
33,169 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Stander, that's a daft way to describe that article. It was Labour's stance against the Indian Government's treatment of Kashmir, that the ruling BJP are objecting to. They happen to be a largely Hindu party. But objecting to Labour is nothing to do with Hinduism.

Interesting angle though - inciting groups in a foreign country to vote for or against parties or candidates that you prefer. Not sure that isn't "foreign interference". No harm in having a view etc. but not sure they can officially "campaign" in a UK GE? Or that's maybe not what the article said?

Interesting. :-) G

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 R R

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.