Politics

20 lurkers | 213 watchers
Nov 2019
2:29pm, 3 Nov 2019
24,509 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
Farage doesn't want to be an MP. He doesn't want power. Because if he did ever win anything he could be called to account and found out for the scheister he is.

He wants to stand outside point and shout loudly.
Nov 2019
2:30pm, 3 Nov 2019
737 posts
  •  
Roberto
And today's Tory promise is to end the benefits freeze. Only another 39 days of them changing their own policies for temporary amounts of time to win votes. It's a disgrace.
Nov 2019
2:46pm, 3 Nov 2019
6,068 posts
  •  
Dooogs
Nellers - good questions.

1 I'm not confident of the CPS bringing charges against a sitting PM unless there's an 80% chance of a conviction. It'd take a brave and principled career-suicidal DPP to do so, if there was much chance of Johnson or a crony still being in charge.

2 if he were convicted and, say, given a fine? I doubt much happens. As the cliche goes, dishonesty is priced into the market with him.

3 Serious enough for him to get a prison sentenced? Apparently, the tipping point for being disbarred from Parliament is a sentence of a year or more. Less than a month or suspended and he might try to tough it out. More than that and maybe a visit from the 1922 would be in order... but I'm not optimistic that we'd get there.
Nov 2019
2:54pm, 3 Nov 2019
1,035 posts
  •  
Dochart
Were he to be convicted and receive a custodial sentence of less than a year, then he could be subject to a recall petition. if these circumstances ever arose while in his current constituency, it would surely be pretty likely to succeed.
Nov 2019
3:19pm, 3 Nov 2019
6,071 posts
  •  
Dooogs
It's gone quiet on cunning plans to get him chucked of of Uxbridge in 2019, alas. (there were a couple of wizard wheezes a few weeks ago, along the lines of the Lib Dems and Greens not standing a candidate, or someone like Amber Rudd standing as an Ind Con to split the Tory vote)...
Nov 2019
3:26pm, 3 Nov 2019
35,121 posts
  •  
Nellers
So if he gets in then, whether he's guilty or not, they're unlikely to go after him because he's going to just appoint another DPP who will drop it if you do? That's the practical likely outcome if he gets in (and if he doesn't then it's open season).

But if they think they've got a watertight case and do go after him, and he does get convicted and gets a custodial sentence, even a short one, what happens? 3 months prison for the sitting PM? I know I'm doing hypotheticals but how do you survive that?

Although as you say even if convicted it's probably a fine and he just shrugs it off because no-one expects him to be honest any more anyway so no damage.

It's a sorry state of affairs when we just shrug off criminal activity by the Prime Minister because it fits his character.
Nov 2019
3:32pm, 3 Nov 2019
6,073 posts
  •  
Dooogs
I could see him doing a Putin (OK, it was term limits rather than prison for him) and appointing a stooge for say, a year.

That, and a load of Deep State conspiricy-theorising about the CPS judiciary...
Nov 2019
3:32pm, 3 Nov 2019
15,455 posts
  •  
Chrisull
If he lost his seat, I suspect they'd just make him a Lord anyway - that is the usually mooted route out of that mess.
Nov 2019
8:00pm, 3 Nov 2019
22,865 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
I would like to think that the nation has moved on from a situation where the Prime Minister "sits" in the Lords. I would hope that this would be shown to be an utterly impractical anachronism if Johnson tried to go down that route. I wouldn't put it past him to try.

As the saying goes, "People who go into politics fall into two groups: people who want to do something and people who want to be somebody." Corbyn is the former and Johnson is the latter, it seems to me.
Nov 2019
10:24am, 4 Nov 2019
10,041 posts
  •  
Markymarkmark
So moving back to what might actually happen ( ;-) )... regardless of who wins, national spending and national debt is going to go up, according to this => bbc.co.uk

As far as I can see, the only difference is that Labour are happier to put (somebodies) taxes up to pay for it. The Conservatives seem to think they can reduce taxes at the same time as increasing spending.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
J2R 296 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
JamieKai 270 D R
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 R R

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.