Politics

19 lurkers | 213 watchers
SPR
Nov 2019
12:19pm, 4 Nov 2019
29,623 posts
  •  
SPR
Macca - He's never been in the shadow cabinet and was a backbencher from 1983 to 2015; that doesn't sound like someone that went into politics to be someone.

The only argument that you can potentially make about Corbyn and power is whether power corrupts.
Nov 2019
12:34pm, 4 Nov 2019
27,106 posts
  •  
macca 53
He never had a social democrat leader to appoint him SPR
J2R
Nov 2019
12:37pm, 4 Nov 2019
2,381 posts
  •  
J2R
I think Corbyn and Johnson are actually pretty well polar opposites. I don't really feel Corbyn actually wants power, he wants to be the perpetual idealist keeping his hands clean and sniping from the sidelines rather than sully himself with political compromise, whereas Johnson is completely amoral and free of idealism, and will say or do anything to get and keep power.
SPR
Nov 2019
12:48pm, 4 Nov 2019
29,624 posts
  •  
SPR
Macca - If he wanted power that badly, he'd have changed something about himself in those 22 years to achieve his goals.

The point is he obviously never wanted power simply for the sake of having power.
Nov 2019
1:21pm, 4 Nov 2019
30,565 posts
  •  
LindsD
I wish the journalists would call out these spending plans. Where the hell is the money coming from? No one ever asks and the man-in-the-street just believes these things will happen.

Also. Cameron fucked a pig.
Nov 2019
1:47pm, 4 Nov 2019
9,364 posts
  •  
larkim
In my analysis of Corbyn, it's the very fact that he didn't crave a leadership role (of the party) which supports much of the rationale as to why he isn't in fact a good leader.

He only stood in the 2015 election to add a left wing flavour to the debate, and had to be pushed into standing.

Clearly the very fact that he wanted to be an MP, and a campaigner for the left, means he isn't devoid of the passion to lead groups for change, but that's not the same as wanting to be in a position whereby, if the electorate falls in the right way, you are PM, and at worst are leader of the opposition. He's always struck me as someone with fundamentally robust principles (mostly) but his passion has been issues and overall social justice - and wanting to campaign hard for the priority that these accrue in the overall political debate.

He wants influence and a voice - but not necessarily power. But was then built up into a cult by a sect of the party, and hasn't been able to step back from that in a well managed way.
Nov 2019
1:50pm, 4 Nov 2019
30,567 posts
  •  
LindsD
I agree 100%
Nov 2019
1:56pm, 4 Nov 2019
33,033 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Well said larks. While I love the idea and ideal of a "reluctant leader", I don't think that set of characteristics can beat a cult (that's an l not an n) of Boris, nor can it bring together disparate factions and take a divided country forward.
jda
Nov 2019
1:57pm, 4 Nov 2019
5,802 posts
  •  
jda
In my darker moments I can't help think that the country would benefit greatly from a well-timed health scare.
Nov 2019
2:09pm, 4 Nov 2019
2,355 posts
  •  
Fellrunning
Call me Dave bummed Mark Francoise???

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
J2R 296 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
JamieKai 270 D R
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 R R

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.