•  
Chrisull
stands "for" not against. Doh!
Oct 2019
9:42am, 31 Oct 2019
22,855 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
I still think that tribal loyalties will come into play in a GE whereas they don't when the stakes are lower. The Brexit party was the biggest party in the EU elections after all. They won't be the biggest party in a GE and might struggle to get a single MP. They can barely bring themselves to write a manifesto. Only crazed headcases will vote for that.

Asking an instinctive lifelong Labour voter to switch to a Tory government stuffed with the likes of Johnson, Rees-Mogg, Gove, Patel, Leadsom etc is a very big ask. The history books show time and again what they can expect at the hands of right-wing Tories.

Labour are apparently going to suggest the creation of a "National Care Service" - that is an imaginative idea which will cut through with a lot of voters, I would suggest. Compare that to the Maybot's "we'll take your mum's house away" approach. Johnson won't make that mistake again, but I doubt he will come up with anything much better than Labour's idea either.

I think this is an election when Leavers have the opportunity to row back on their Brexit position - before 2016 hardly anyone saw the EU as a pressing issue, yet the last 4 years has seen the English population incited into a position where they will pay any cost, bear any burden to get out of the EU. Time to think again.
Oct 2019
10:00am, 31 Oct 2019
679 posts
  •  
Ally-C
Where’s Farage anyway? This is the longest period of time I’ve not seen that piece of shit on the BBC for years.
Oct 2019
10:03am, 31 Oct 2019
15,431 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Doing a deal with Johnson, to be announced Friday allegedly. No news is bad news in this case.
Oct 2019
10:09am, 31 Oct 2019
24,487 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
Whic tribal loyalty are we talking about now. Labour/Con, or Leave/Remain?

It is interesting, because, again as per the EU elections, I see it as the opportunity for Leavers to vote leave again, in just as large a numbers.
jda
Oct 2019
10:10am, 31 Oct 2019
5,773 posts
  •  
jda
I'm hopeful, based on a survey of one, that a bunch of the traditionally loyal reliable older Tory voters won't turn out this time as they are embarrassed/disappointed/ashamed at how things have turned out since the last vote. I don't expect them to actually admit regret or guilt at what they have done to the country, but they don't need to so long as they don't make it any worse.
Oct 2019
10:14am, 31 Oct 2019
22,856 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
It depends whether you think Brexit trumps all other considerations. I'm not convinced it does. We'll soon find out.
If Farage and Johnson get a deal it will give the opposition a mountain to climb, sure enough. It would be yet another example of Johnson's unscrupulous, unprincipled behaviour, but no surprise there. Anyone who believes a word that man says is a dupe.
Oct 2019
10:22am, 31 Oct 2019
15,432 posts
  •  
Chrisull
I'm with JB here, and I'd cite past history. 1974, Heath calls election, after an inconclusive previous election. He tries to make it about the miners and strikes and power cuts, and indeed on the back of the 3 day week, the first 5 weeks of the campaign are about this entirely. In the last week it swings back to prices/inflation. He loses.

(and yes this does run counter to my point about people having made their minds up before a campaign).
Oct 2019
10:34am, 31 Oct 2019
18,932 posts
  •  
DeeGee
A Farage/Johnson electoral pact will be an interesting thing.

As I understand it, Farage has moved from his pre-referendum position of "there will be a deal" to "WTO or nothing". He's been quite vocal against both Tory "deals".

I'd have thought that Farage's price for collaboration would be that Johnson bins his deal.

If Johnson bins his deal, he'll be standing on a manifesto pledge to go against the deal that he himself trumpeted. If Farage softens on his line of "WTO only", then he's going against what he's spent the past 18 months shitting on about.

It's basically going to be a chance to find out which of the two is the bigger narcissistic bullshitter.
Oct 2019
10:42am, 31 Oct 2019
3,614 posts
  •  
run free
Jda - some leave voters say crap such as “they will never vote again if democracy / will of people is not upheld” They will go back to vote because of what they believe in.

Am hoping the new young voters exert their right to vote but will need us all to get them there and think we can play the social media card as well

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
J2R 296 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
JamieKai 270 D R
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 R R

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.