Politics

12 lurkers | 213 watchers
Oct 2019
10:59am, 31 Oct 2019
22,857 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
Good points DeeGee. Although principles and consistency are in rather short supply when it comes to those two, I take your points. I would laugh if a) The BP splits over Farage's machinations or b) Any proposed deal falls apart because of disagreements over what Brexit is preferred. Farage is in a bind - support Johnson and he won't get WTO. Campaign against him and he might let Labour in. Sounds like he will fudge by only campaigning hard in Labour leave areas. No formal pact at all. We shall see.
Oct 2019
11:02am, 31 Oct 2019
9,349 posts
  •  
larkim
Splitting the Tory vote between BP and Tory party is my hope for some of the Lab Con marginals - allow Labour to slip through with a lower transfer of voters from Lab to BP than from Tory to BP. Whether that turns out in practice I don't know, and it doesn't account for the Lab to Lib slippage route (nor the potential Tory to Lib route).
jda
Oct 2019
11:21am, 31 Oct 2019
5,775 posts
  •  
jda
I absolutely agree rf most will vote. But in the 30 years I've known my FiL he has grown increasingly dogmatic and self-confident in his beliefs - arrogant even - and if he's saying he might not vote because “it’s all too much of a muddle” then there will surely be others in a similar position.
Oct 2019
12:01pm, 31 Oct 2019
32,967 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
If Corbyn would back Remain, unequivocally, I'd be voting Labour all the way. I'm loving some of his hard left policy proposals.

What is Labour's current position on 2nd Ref/People's Vote? (If they were in a majority gov't - unlikely hypothesis, but for purpose of this question.) They won't just "cancel Brexit" (revoke A50) unilaterally, but will they do a 2nd Ref (hence request 6-12 month extension)? If so, will they campaign for Remain or to be allowed to negotiate a new deal? Or is their policy just to do a new deal and then bring it back for a "confirmatory referendum"?

Crikey, it's going to be a fraught 6 weeks! :-) G
Oct 2019
12:08pm, 31 Oct 2019
3,012 posts
  •  
Bob!
The policy is to negotiate a soft Brexit.
Soft Brexit v Remain at 2nd Ref, and at this time decide whether to campaign for leave or remain (My feeling is that they won't admit to having decided they want Remain due to 'honouring the result of the last referendum')
Oct 2019
12:12pm, 31 Oct 2019
1,557 posts
  •  
Surelynot
Many of Corbyn's policy proposals have already been implemented in Scotland. By the SNP. Resisted by Scottish Labour.
Oct 2019
12:13pm, 31 Oct 2019
32,968 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Thanks for clarifying Bob! That makes sense. Except that the "they" who might want Remain don't include Corbyn, do they?
jda
Oct 2019
12:26pm, 31 Oct 2019
5,776 posts
  •  
jda
It does actually make sense logically that they cannot say now which way they would campaign and vote: it depends on how good a deal they can negotiate.
Oct 2019
12:27pm, 31 Oct 2019
24,489 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
Indeed HappyG, indeed.....Corbyn is a leaver and has decided to shut up about it.

That 'policy' i.e. Labour will negotiate something that we can't tell you about and then we can't tell you if we will support what we negotiated won't wash, no wonder they will fight an election on everything else.

If you ask me that is completely unreliable (not surprising as Corbyn changes position from one week to then next), but in a leave Labour seat they'll get fucked with that 'policy' on Brexit. This might be where Farage comes in, he's an old Tory, he'll be quite happy to win in old Labour seats with his Brexit Party, and Johnson will be happy to let him.
jda
Oct 2019
12:37pm, 31 Oct 2019
5,777 posts
  •  
jda
About the only prediction I'm confident in making is that the BP won't win any seats.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
J2R 296 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
JamieKai 270 D R
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 R R

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.