Politics

6 lurkers | 213 watchers
Oct 2019
5:40pm, 29 Oct 2019
2,387 posts
  •  
TomahawkMike
I am intrigued about this Chrisull as my MiL is in a nursing home and has no hope of understanding what day it is or who anyone is let alone vote. I wonder if FiL gets a proxy vote for her. I hope not as I know he won't budge (some sort of stubborn pride about never changing his party). I will ask him later in the week.
J2R
Oct 2019
5:44pm, 29 Oct 2019
2,365 posts
  •  
J2R
Hm, Chrisull, I would argue that 'wisdom', understanding of the world gained by experience, is rather more important for politics than sheer mental sharpness. But then, as someone approaching 60, I'm bound to say that, I suppose :). And in reality the understanding of the world shown by the older demographic who voted for Brexit doesn't do much to support my case...
jda
Oct 2019
5:50pm, 29 Oct 2019
5,761 posts
  •  
jda
My father's (probably fairly standard) PoA does not empower their attorney to vote in general elections or similar. I do not believe that it would be legal for someone to vote as proxy for someone who did not have sufficient capacity to appoint them, but in practice it might be hard to stop and I'm pretty sure there can be no formal process for removal of voting rights.
Oct 2019
6:36pm, 29 Oct 2019
6,870 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
Can’t believe people seriously believe minors and resident aliens (for want of a better name, I’m referring back to what classical Athens called them) should be able to vote in a UK election.
J2R
Oct 2019
6:43pm, 29 Oct 2019
2,366 posts
  •  
J2R
I'm actually with you there, TMW. It would need to be given a lot more consideration than is possible for this election. It really looks to me like an attempt to rig things in favour of the Remain vote - and I'm an ardent Remainer. But it's not going anywhere anyway, it hasn't been selected as an amendment.
J2R
Oct 2019
6:47pm, 29 Oct 2019
2,367 posts
  •  
J2R
I'd really love to have a chat with some of the many Leavers who denounced May's deal as appalling and 'Brexit In Name Only', but who are now gung-ho about Johnson's deal and ask them to explain why his is so much better. And if they mumble something about backstop, then ask them to explain to me what the backstop is.
Oct 2019
6:54pm, 29 Oct 2019
11,306 posts
  •  
Cerrertonia
Seems odd that citizens of say Mozambique or Rwanda who temporarily live in the UK are able to vote, but people from Western Europe who have lived, worked, paid taxes, raised children etc. here for decades can't.
Oct 2019
7:14pm, 29 Oct 2019
3,616 posts
  •  
Raemond
I'm all for putting the franchise in line with ability to have sex, join the army, leave full time education, etc. The distinction between adult and minor is arbitrary anyway, may as well make it consistent.

As a UK citizen legally resident in the Netherlands (though I work and spend half the week in Belgium) I'm entitled to vote in Dutch local elections but not national, and I vote in UK national and European elections .

My UK vote is linked to the last place I lived there, even though I have no ongoing connection to it. I can't really think of any more reasonable way of doing it, though.

I am eligible to apply for Dutch citizenship as I've been there over five years, but that will involve sitting 7 exams and a long wait as well as about €1000 and giving up my British nationality.

I'm also eligible for Irish citizenship through my paternal grandmother, but as both she and my pater (and I'm fairly sure both his sisters) have been dead for a long time I'm having difficulty gathering the required paperwork.
Oct 2019
7:44pm, 29 Oct 2019
2,910 posts
  •  
FenlandRunner
I think the comments by a few on here prove why the 16-17 should be given the vote.
J2R
Oct 2019
8:07pm, 29 Oct 2019
2,368 posts
  •  
J2R
Just to be clear, I'm not saying either of these things are a bad idea in themselves, it's just trying to rush them through in time for a December election which is.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
J2R 296 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
JamieKai 270 D R
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 R R

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.