Politics

2 lurkers | 213 watchers
Oct 2019
3:31pm, 29 Oct 2019
16,188 posts
  •  
Stander
Warning. Generalised to follow.

Most 16-17 Year olds don't know about of even give a fuck about politics - as demonstrated by the woefully low turnout rate in those just a few years older than that.

I see no reason why children should be allowed to vote on adult matters.
Oct 2019
3:31pm, 29 Oct 2019
16,189 posts
  •  
Stander
*generalisation
Oct 2019
3:35pm, 29 Oct 2019
15,405 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Don't let them get married, join up, or have sex then....

(it's not that I'm disagreeing 100% but there should be one line i.e. either 18 for everything or 16 for others). My 18 year old at 16 was way more savvy and politically motivated and knowledgeable than 95% of adults I know. He asked our local MP at school about the universal basic income (not at my prompting, this was off his own volition) and was disgusted with her answer but too charming to let it show.
Oct 2019
3:37pm, 29 Oct 2019
15,406 posts
  •  
Chrisull
I meant (or 16 for everything). There's arguments for making it 21 or even 24 (when the brain finally stops developing), although I'd be inclined to make it 16.
Oct 2019
3:37pm, 29 Oct 2019
674 posts
  •  
Ally-C
16-17 year olds had a higher turnout than 18-34 in the Scottish referendum.
Oct 2019
3:47pm, 29 Oct 2019
32,955 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Top factising there Ally-C. Nice one!

EU citizens living in UK could/should get to vote in a referendum on Brexit (because it is a single issue and it affects them directly). But I'm not sure that they should get to vote in a GE. They can vote in their country of their citizenship for their national government. If they wish to vote on the UK's gov't shouldn't they choose to be citizens of the UK?

Hmmm, not sure about that one.

Labour are soo weeeirrrd at the mo. They're all over the shop. The opposition should be able to destroy the incumbent government in a poll and GE, but they are just floundering right now. They look like they are dithering at every turn. Or so the media headlines seem to show.
jda
Oct 2019
3:48pm, 29 Oct 2019
5,752 posts
  •  
jda
I don't see why a low turnout should be any reason at all to not allow them that want to, to vote. You could just as reasonably argue that not many people like to play badminton, therefore it should be outlawed. If you really believed they aren't going to vote, why would you so be scared of giving them the option?

As for people not knowing or giving a fuck about politics - welcome to the real world. They get to vote anyway. It's one reason why representative democracy is generally better than referendums.
jda
Oct 2019
3:50pm, 29 Oct 2019
5,753 posts
  •  
jda
Um, HG. we just did that on the previous page (or two). Citizens living abroad cannot necessarily vote in either their country of nationality, nor residence. And they don't have any automatic right to adopt the citizenship in their country, even if they were prepared to give up the right to return to their original country (dual nationality may not be legal for them).
Oct 2019
3:56pm, 29 Oct 2019
32,958 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Yeah jda, I'm agreeing. But if Labour have tried to make that an amendment or condition of support GE, my point was that it's a pretty daft position to take.
Oct 2019
4:01pm, 29 Oct 2019
16,190 posts
  •  
Stander
And the data supporting that comment Ally-C is where?

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
J2R 296 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
JamieKai 270 D R
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 R R

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.