Politics

2 lurkers | 213 watchers
Oct 2019
2:19pm, 29 Oct 2019
673 posts
  •  
Ally-C
Happy, EU citizens were allowed to vote in the Scottish referendum.
jda
Oct 2019
2:21pm, 29 Oct 2019
5,747 posts
  •  
jda
You can't vote in UK elections if you are a UK citizen living abroad for more than 15 years. Despite the Tories promising they would fix this problem years ago (they agreed it was unfair), they never got round to it before the last ref, hence lots of UK citizens didn't get to vote despite being some of the most strongly affected (living abroad in EU).

One reason why it's not fair to exclude such people is that people don't have an automatic right of citizenship merely through living in a foreign country for a given period of time. And they might not have lived there for long anyway, if they have moved around. I once had an brief but amusing discussion with a brexiter about this - they said that UK citizens living abroad for a long time should vote where they live, not in the UK. So I replied, does this principle also apply to EU citizens living in the UK? They went very quiet :-)

Resident for tax purposes would seem to be a reasonable principle for the vast majority of people. No taxation without representation, remember that? Though that is ambiguous anyway, tax status cannot be uniquely determined at a point in time but can change retrospectively.

I don't know how other countries manage the similar issues. Probably all slightly different based on history and other contingencies.
Oct 2019
2:24pm, 29 Oct 2019
9,995 posts
  •  
Markymarkmark
My niece is know an Irish citizen. Because her maternal grandmother was! Very weird. Mind you, she lives and works across continental Europe!

I missed not voting for Margaret Thatcher's local representative by 4 days. Living where I did, it made no difference anyway

Now I can against their successors in a different place, I'm not sure if that works any better given the size of the local gentlemen farmers, landowners, huntin' shootin' and fishin' communities. :-(
Oct 2019
2:39pm, 29 Oct 2019
6,281 posts
  •  
postieboy
I don't want a December election, my job is tough enough as it is two weeks before Christmas without a ton of polling cards/postal votes/party paraphernalia on top of the usual Xmas crap. :(
Oct 2019
3:05pm, 29 Oct 2019
15,400 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Labour look set to torpedo the election over EU citizens voting rights, or rather the govt will pull it.
jda
Oct 2019
3:07pm, 29 Oct 2019
5,751 posts
  •  
jda
well that's all fun and games. But with the genie well and truly out of the bottle, we will be getting an election fairly soon one way or another I'm sure.

ish

hard to be really sure about anything these days :-)
Oct 2019
3:16pm, 29 Oct 2019
15,402 posts
  •  
Chrisull
I'm more bothered about 16-17 year olds not having the vote. Nowhere else in Europe offers settled status EU citizens the vote, it seems like an odd hill to bury an election on. And one that won't be that popular with the public.
Oct 2019
3:26pm, 29 Oct 2019
8,248 posts
  •  
simbil
Labour don’t have the numbers to torpedo anything unless they get additional support.
Didn’t snp and Lib Dem’s already say they would not seek to amend?
Oct 2019
3:30pm, 29 Oct 2019
15,403 posts
  •  
Chrisull
SNP said they were "misrepresented" on that by the Lib Dems.

Up to deputy speaker as to which amendments get selected apparently now...
Oct 2019
3:30pm, 29 Oct 2019
15,404 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Imagine a govt run by Lab/Lib Dems/SNP, they might get even less done than the current one! (although in the current circumstances of turning us into Singapore-on-Thames, that's a good thing).

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
J2R 296 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
JamieKai 270 D R
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 R R

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.