Politics

2 lurkers | 213 watchers
Oct 2019
11:16am, 29 Oct 2019
9,307 posts
  •  
larkim
TMW - that's the point, you are allowed to be on two lists.
Oct 2019
11:18am, 29 Oct 2019
15,398 posts
  •  
Chrisull
A GE now depends on the amendments... ie the settled status EU citizens one, which may yet cause the Tories to pull the bill.
Oct 2019
11:20am, 29 Oct 2019
9,308 posts
  •  
larkim
Individuals with two homes can also register to vote in two locations, providing they "live" in both (e.g. work in London from a house you own M-F, weekend in the home counties). Holiday homes don't count if you don't "live" there. But you can just vote once in a GE.
jda
Oct 2019
11:50am, 29 Oct 2019
5,743 posts
  •  
jda
As larkim says, there is no restriction on who can be listed in more than one place. It's not a special thing for students, it's just that they are a particularly large demographic with split residence. I'm not even sure if there is a restriction on the number of places you can be registered. And it does seem anomalous for things like local elections where there is not a single date nationally when everyone is allowed a single vote.

Despite all that, I remind TMW and others that the number of convictions for vote fraud can generally be counted on the fingers of one foot.
Oct 2019
11:54am, 29 Oct 2019
9,312 posts
  •  
larkim
Indeed the fraud point is well made. Many has been the time I've been tempted to give a false name and address on turning up at the polling station simply because I could with the absence of ID checks etc. I turn up without a polling card on purpose.

And we should remember the Tories attempt to consider legislation to put photo ID as a barrier before ever voter. Gerrymandering (?) masquerading as common sense.
jda
Oct 2019
11:57am, 29 Oct 2019
5,744 posts
  •  
jda
By any rational analysis, the benefit of voting is rather lower than the cost of doing it for the vast majority of people. The surprise is that so many bother to do it, not that so few take the considerable risk of attempting something illegal.
Oct 2019
12:08pm, 29 Oct 2019
6,868 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
Low convictions could easily equal poor ability to detect fraud

And now they want to give the vote to children and EU citizens? What about the population of Calais or Southern Ireland too?
Oct 2019
12:11pm, 29 Oct 2019
32,946 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
In Australia it's compulsory. Speaking to an Australian friend he said there is a significant proportion of voting that is effectively "spoiled" by just ticking first on the list or everyone on the list (it's a form of PR). He gave it a name, but I can't remember the term. So the order of names on the ballot becomes quite important!

When you start talking about voting, turn out and even the results, I actually worry for the human race as a species.
Oct 2019
12:21pm, 29 Oct 2019
18,922 posts
  •  
DeeGee
By "children", do you mean 16 year olds, TMW.

Who, by law, are old enough to make the conscious decision to sign up to die for their country?
Oct 2019
12:41pm, 29 Oct 2019
9,313 posts
  •  
larkim
TMW - that's exactly the Tory argument for photo ID. Makes common sense, doesn't it. Until you realise that the work done by the Electoral Commission backs up the low voter fraud position. electoralcommission.org.uk

Voter fraud invariably leaves a trace, and is preceded by communication between parties to encourage sufficient fraud to make a difference as you can read from the case studies.

Interesting that in the main they received nothing more than a police caution, including the one in Leicester which I think made a stir as it was Labour activists from a minority community background, and it was presented to a degree as being something rife within that local community.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
J2R 296 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
JamieKai 270 D R
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 R R

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.