Politics

14 lurkers | 213 watchers
Oct 2019
8:04pm, 28 Oct 2019
9,985 posts
  •  
Markymarkmark
What Stander said.... I couldn't agree more. Much as I detest all that the Conservative Party seem to stand for, at least I can tell you what I think they do stand for. Unlike HM Official Opposition, who I feel I ought to agree with...but can't work out what it is!
Oct 2019
8:08pm, 28 Oct 2019
2,899 posts
  •  
FenlandRunner
What does Boris stand for? Apart from making his cronies rich? And self advancement? One week he wants one thing and the next it changes.
Oct 2019
8:51pm, 28 Oct 2019
9,673 posts
  •  
Joopsy
Agree with FR, slate Corbyn all you want but I’m not sure Johnson knows what he himself stands for.
Oct 2019
8:52pm, 28 Oct 2019
3,008 posts
  •  
Bob!
So, is Jonson for no deal?
or a deal that ditches NI
jda
Oct 2019
10:05pm, 28 Oct 2019
5,739 posts
  •  
jda
I'm assuming they will all come out with some sort of manifesto promise that will be more or less clear or ambiguous....
Oct 2019
10:57pm, 28 Oct 2019
15,395 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Labour I think are trying to let Johnson stew, (while fighting their own civil war over Europe), but it isn't a good look. However I'd argue better place than the Limp Dumbs sorry Lib Dems...The Lib Dems have been through 3 looks now, but this one is the stupidest yet... as a Uni prof of politics points out:

"Still puzzling a little over the Lib Dem's push for a general election right now: quite a decent possibility they win a bunch of seats but Johnson wins a majority and delivers Brexit on the back of it. Not quite tuition fees, but what then?"...

"So you still end up 4th largest party, fishing in a pool of voters who are fickle, and your opponents can blame you for triggering an election that led to the outcome you claimed you were fighting against."
Oct 2019
7:22am, 29 Oct 2019
9,987 posts
  •  
Markymarkmark
FR, that's almost exactly what I think the Conservative Party stand for!

Maybe it has nuances like who gets how much, who gets more screwed over than others, how much right wing dogma gets applied, but as an outcome and a summary, your statements are a good starting point.
Oct 2019
7:36am, 29 Oct 2019
9,991 posts
  •  
Markymarkmark
ION, more money wasted here.

bbc.co.uk
Oct 2019
9:10am, 29 Oct 2019
9,302 posts
  •  
larkim
All parties shouldn't get greedy with this newly discovered power to manipulate the date of the election to their own desires. I know that sounds little overly moralistic about it, and I can hear the cries of "what politician willingly relinquishes power", but at the moment the "greater good" needs to get a functioning government in place, and all politicians should be humble enough (!) to accept that the voters are the ones in charge.

So I don't fault the LDs for pushing for a vote, though I do think that tactically ref Brexit they should be adopting a similar line to Labour, and if they did the line jointly uttered would carry more weight. Though perhaps that is Swinson's point - by being proactive, trying to get "something" done (even it is only triggering an election with the WAB off the table) they are looking more dynamic than Corbyn.

Corbyn might be actually, technically correct that No Deal is not yet off the table, but for practical purposes it is. And he's not done a good enough job of keeping the man in the street aware of the technicalities required, nor made enough noise and play about him not trusting Boris as far as he could throw him (or at least, that line has not been hooked onto well enough by the media in a way that Labour might benefit from).
Oct 2019
9:32am, 29 Oct 2019
15,396 posts
  •  
Chrisull
December 11th is now the compromise date, will Lib Dems and SNP accept?

I agree Labour have not handled this well, and I would be way happier with Starmer or A.N.Other as leader - and I still think Caroline Lucas has been way more sensible, but this is the hand currently dealt. Sometimes appearing dynamic can be seen to be good, but is actually counterproductive. Like the currency traders who make the most moves/trades, but are statistically less successful than the ones who make fewer trades. It's like intervening in wars too, people go - "we must do something", but as Iraq showed, actually doing nothing would have resulted in far fewer deaths (hundreds of thousands less).

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
J2R 296 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
JamieKai 270 D R
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 R R

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.