Politics

14 lurkers | 213 watchers
SPR
Oct 2019
9:33am, 29 Oct 2019
29,573 posts
  •  
SPR
I'd rather Brexit was solved without an election, in fact there's a big chance that given many votes don't make a difference in the election that the solution we get won't be something the majority want.

However if Labour don't get behind revoke or 2nd ref then they can't continue to talk about taking no deal off the table before an election.
jda
Oct 2019
9:35am, 29 Oct 2019
5,741 posts
  •  
jda
The Labour groupies who don't want an election in December need to let the rest of us in on what their alternative plan is. It might be really good, who knows?
SPR
Oct 2019
9:42am, 29 Oct 2019
29,574 posts
  •  
SPR
Forcing Boris to ask for extensions for the next three years? Lol.
Oct 2019
9:54am, 29 Oct 2019
9,303 posts
  •  
larkim
I suspect they are clapping themselves on the back and laughing about how stupid they are making Boris look. Without realising they are seeing that from the own perspective and missing the fact that the voters who they need to secure to keep Boris out of office after an election just think, at best, that Bojo and JC are as bad as each other playing political games.

I've said it before; bring back Blair / Campbell / Brown. Boris would be permanently on the back foot and the Labour Party would be on course for a substantial victory as the party of common sense.
Oct 2019
9:55am, 29 Oct 2019
15,397 posts
  •  
Chrisull
JDA - it's kind of like schoolkids football, I think Labour's plan is to act as the goalhanger, waiting for the ball to come their way and score it, if it does. The rest of the time it's being shouted at by the rest of the kids for being a goalhanger and not contributing in any other way. :-)
Oct 2019
9:57am, 29 Oct 2019
32,944 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
What is the difference between 9 and 12 Dec and why is 11th a "good compromise" please?
jda
Oct 2019
10:05am, 29 Oct 2019
5,742 posts
  •  
jda
Dunno. A bit of it is to do with student terms. Also whether parliament has enough time to finish up important business before shutting. Not particularly bothered myself.
Oct 2019
10:18am, 29 Oct 2019
3,010 posts
  •  
Bob!
I think the LibDems chose the 9th for 2 reasons:
1 - So that Johnson can't bring back the WAB and force it through (after saying that he won't)
2 - So that students are more likely to be at Uni where they are registered to vote, rather than at home address where they are less likely to be on the register
Oct 2019
10:27am, 29 Oct 2019
27,087 posts
  •  
macca 53
I love Chris’ analogy and I think it sums up Labour’s position pretty well. The question is, can they be the Fox in the Box when the opportunity arises (as it will)?
Oct 2019
10:48am, 29 Oct 2019
30,382 posts
  •  
LindsD
I'm not sure whether the uni thing isn't a red herring. Halls of residence used to register all their residents to vote, but I'm pretty sure that doesn't happen any more, and wouldn't apply anyhow to students living in private rented. I was registered at home and at uni, but my kids that are/were away were only ever registered at home, but had either proxy or postal votes. If people are motivated to vote, they will. If they are not, they won't. I don't buy the argument that it's more likely that students will be registered to vote at university. It's not like when I was there when I considered myself to live there and only visit my parents. Terms are so short now and money so tight that it seems the norm that students spend as little time as possible in the university town and still consider themselves to 'live' at home.

Happy to be proved wrong, though.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
J2R 296 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
JamieKai 270 D R
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 R R

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.