Politics

19 lurkers | 213 watchers
jda
Oct 2019
3:51pm, 28 Oct 2019
5,732 posts
  •  
jda
larkim, see p2064. About half-way down. Good to see LauraK finally using a reliable source :-)
Oct 2019
3:57pm, 28 Oct 2019
9,294 posts
  •  
larkim
People like opinions to be expressed in terms of certainty, and certainly that's the way that the media like to report things. I remember back in my student union days I was phoned up for a local news item on something to do with student finances etc. In the warm up conversation I was feeling pretty gung ho about what I was expected to say as a student union leader. But when the journo clicked record on the real interview, I was more circumspect. Needless to say my contribution wasn't aired as it didn't give them the soundbite they needed.

There's no snappy news to be made by commentators, especially pundits, saying "Well, sort of, but you've got to consider all the angles, and from some perspectives it is good whilst in other areas it is less good". Just like sports pundits - "BigTown United were terrible today, they got it all wrong, they'd have been played off the park by a group of school kids".

Strangely enough I read something a while back that suggested that one reason why association football hadn't captured the imagination in the USA was because scores didn't reflect the more even nature of the competition. A 95-80 result in basketball is quite a dominant win, but gives credit to the opposition for a job well done in scoring 80 points. A 2-0 win looks one sided, but could be 2 moments of fortune in an otherwise even match etc. Strange to think that the US sports watchers are a bit more meritorious than we are....
Oct 2019
3:58pm, 28 Oct 2019
9,295 posts
  •  
larkim
I assume they have you on the hotline if Cummings is engaged jda?
Oct 2019
4:30pm, 28 Oct 2019
32,940 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Pretty obvious data, but slightly more people favour a referendum than a GE to resolve Brexit, and obviously Remainers strongly in favour of either/both, whereas Leavers against, esp against a Ref.

But some hard numbers, if you're into that sort of thing.

bbc.co.uk

Looks like it's academic though if we're going to GE, no chance of 2nd Ref unless now gov gets in and gets it through parliament with either their own majority or some consensus view. :-) G
Oct 2019
4:47pm, 28 Oct 2019
32,941 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Where was the bit that said Johnson given up on getting WAB through? This evening is just about GE date, isn't it?

I read something that said Johnson had to formally (a letter?) accept the EU offer of an extension, which is what their reply to his request for one effectively is. If it's only an offer, does Benn Act (or anything else) compel him to accept it? Or is there some bizarre way that he can still No Deal us?! :-) G
Oct 2019
4:49pm, 28 Oct 2019
9,296 posts
  •  
larkim
I think the Benn Act said that 31st Jan was auto accepted, anything other required the PM to accept within 2 days.

The BBC article suggested that Tuesday would be the day for dropping the WAB HG - if the govt failed tonight on it's preferred course of action (FTPA, WAB approved pre-election) then Tuesday would be a different approach - non-FTPA GE with likelihood of dropping WAB.
Oct 2019
4:51pm, 28 Oct 2019
32,942 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Ah, gotcha, it's a tomorrow, maybe thing.

Well Katya A, smarty pants that she is, said Johnson had to explicitly reply to the EU or the extension is a fiction until then?

bbc.co.uk

Or did I misunderstand that? :-) G
Oct 2019
4:56pm, 28 Oct 2019
9,298 posts
  •  
larkim
As ever, Katya is right (and so am I, sort of!)

"3Duties in connection with Article 50 extension
(1)If the European Council decides to agree an extension of the period in Article 50(3) of the Treaty on European Union ending at 11.00 pm on 31 October 2019 to the period ending at 11.00pm on 31 January 2020, the Prime Minister must, immediately after such a decision is made, notify the President of the European Council that the United Kingdom agrees to the proposed extension."

"Must" "immediately" I've interpreted as more or less auto-accepted. No wiggle room there though. The rest goes on to say (with a slightly confusing clause 4)

"(2)If the European Council decides to agree an extension of the period in Article 50(3) of the Treaty on European Union ending at 11.00pm on 31 October 2019, but to a date other than 11.00pm on 31 January 2020, the Prime Minister must, within a period of two days beginning with the end of the day on which the European Council’s decision is made, or before the end of 30 October 2019, whichever is sooner, notify the President of the European Council that the United Kingdom agrees to the proposed extension.

(3)But subsection (2) does not apply if the House of Commons has decided not to pass a motion moved by a Minister of the Crown within a period of two calendar days beginning with the end of the day on which the European Council’s decision is made or before the end of 30 October 2019, whichever is sooner, in the following form—
“That this House has approved the extension to the period in Article 50(3) of the Treaty on European Union which the European Council has decided.”

(4)Nothing in this section shall prevent the Prime Minister from agreeing to an extension of the period specified in Article 50(3) of the Treaty on European Union otherwise than in accordance with this section."
Oct 2019
5:00pm, 28 Oct 2019
9,299 posts
  •  
larkim
Katya says:
Mr Johnson is obliged by UK law to accept the new Brexit delay. But EU leaders take nothing for granted anymore. Under EU law, a no-deal Brexit is still possible as of midnight Central European Time (23:00 GMT) on Thursday.

Now, if and when the prime minister despatches his ambassador to the EU to submit a letter of UK acceptance of the extension, then Brussels says it still needs another 24 hours. This is because the text was agreed at EU ambassador level. It still needs to be signed off by the "grands fromages" - leaders in all EU capitals.

So No Deal not yet formally accepted etc. So Corbyn is right to keep his powder dry tonight I'd have though.
jda
Oct 2019
5:00pm, 28 Oct 2019
5,733 posts
  •  
jda
Labour a pathetic shambles as usual. Really outdoing themselves now though. I challenge anyone to actually explain what their current policy is, since they are apparently dead set against either a GE or a ref amendment on the current WA.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
J2R 296 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
JamieKai 270 D R
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 R R

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.