Politics

5 lurkers | 213 watchers
Oct 2019
10:31am, 30 Oct 2019
9,333 posts
  •  
larkim
Yes, Chris, but you painted Stander as having a view that previous society's views about a specific age should bind the current period, and I don't think that was what he was suggesting. Just that in his view of society it might be acceptable to have a range of ages for a range of activities. You're arguing that one size fits all.

Agree that many of the limits are related to historical reasons that are no longer relevant.

And I can't really disagree with Raemond's analysis of looking at the allowable action in terms of its consequences, though I suppose the finesse to that is that sexual consent issues in theory have far more personal consequences than the potential impact of a single vote - though that one vote could have potentially national consequences, and certainly the accumulation of those votes might have.

I'm tending towards favouring 16 as the voting age, but wonder whether that starts to blur a whole load of other rights / responsibilities that are related to adulthood and triggered only by turning 18.
Oct 2019
10:41am, 30 Oct 2019
15,414 posts
  •  
Chrisull
I wasn't aiming to infer that, I was saying historical baggage has determined the status quo and by supporting the hodge-podge of different ages, that is effectively re-inforcing that...
Oct 2019
10:42am, 30 Oct 2019
16,193 posts
  •  
Stander
I'm not arguing that X age for X activity is correct or incorrect.

I'm saying that having one number fit all things is not appropriate.

And I'd have read your arguments Chris, if you hadn't started you post with "Stander- that's complete bollocks".
Oct 2019
10:43am, 30 Oct 2019
9,334 posts
  •  
larkim
OK, I can see that argument. So out with the old, and in with a single unified new age limit. Perhaps. I still think if we accept 16 as a universal age, there are plenty of other things we need to consider.
Oct 2019
10:48am, 30 Oct 2019
27,090 posts
  •  
macca 53
I suspect we’ll be in for another hung parliament personally, but a Con/BP coalition might be able to “get Brexit done”. On the other hand a Lab/SNP one is almost as likely to happen imo (on the basis that Labour are more likely to agree to Indyref2 than the Tories). Lib Dems to be out in the cold no matter what and the Tigs wiped out - where will poor old Chuka turn up next?
Oct 2019
10:48am, 30 Oct 2019
16,194 posts
  •  
Stander
...such as do we want 16 year olds coming home in body bags?
Oct 2019
10:59am, 30 Oct 2019
299 posts
  •  
Non-runner
Just to be very naughty, recent research on brain development suggests that people should be considered as children until the age of about 25. Discuss😂
bigthink.com
Oct 2019
11:00am, 30 Oct 2019
27,092 posts
  •  
macca 53
I don’t see any difference between a body bag whether it contains a 16 year old or an 18 year old corpse
Oct 2019
11:15am, 30 Oct 2019
16,195 posts
  •  
Stander
So as decided by the currently socially accepted age limits, you want children fighting your wars?
Oct 2019
11:22am, 30 Oct 2019
18,929 posts
  •  
DeeGee
I don't want anyone, of any age, fighting my wars.

We're not at war, and long may that continue.

I also don't want any Briton, of any age, fighting anybugger else's wars.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
J2R 296 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
JamieKai 270 D R
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 R R

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.