Politics

4 lurkers | 213 watchers
Oct 2019
2:12pm, 30 Oct 2019
9,344 posts
  •  
larkim
She tried to convince me that Green ought to be my party given most of their social policies align with mine. I was having none of it, and similarlly have a local constituency where it's a stretch to even argue that voting LD isn't a wasted vote so if you're not voting red or blue it isn't really worth doing. I'm still trying to suggest that voting for an excellent local MP will be worth doing...
Oct 2019
2:20pm, 30 Oct 2019
30,428 posts
  •  
LindsD
Yup
Oct 2019
2:33pm, 30 Oct 2019
1,666 posts
  •  
Zorba
I agree with B Rubble . Steptoe is a spent force and those in Westminster /media bubble grossly underestimate the Leaver desire out in the country to support Boris in getting Brexit over the line . Comfortable 30+ majority for the Conservatives ....
Oct 2019
2:38pm, 30 Oct 2019
8,250 posts
  •  
simbil
It’s a win win for the SNP then, majority of local seats and a loathed leader in Westminster taking Scotland out of the EU against the wishes of the majority. Could there be a more perfect storm for independence?
Oct 2019
2:43pm, 30 Oct 2019
6,659 posts
  •  
paul the builder
I suppose it would still technically be a Union, even if there was only England and Wales left in it, right? :-)
jda
Oct 2019
2:58pm, 30 Oct 2019
5,769 posts
  •  
jda
All votes are a total waste of time and I've never understood the logic by which voting for whoever comes first or perhaps second is a useful vote and voting for someone who comes third or lower is a waste. Can someone who promotes this "wasted vote" view explain why they hold this view?
Oct 2019
3:00pm, 30 Oct 2019
1,668 posts
  •  
Zorba
Nobody cares about the SNP
Oct 2019
3:03pm, 30 Oct 2019
6,662 posts
  •  
paul the builder
You won't mind them having their little referendum then, since you don't care and it doesn't affect you?
Oct 2019
3:05pm, 30 Oct 2019
30,433 posts
  •  
LindsD
I know that in a pure and perfect world, you should vote for the party that you wish to see govern, but in my constituency, for example, if you vote for anyone other than Labour, you are increasing the chances that you get the Tories.

Is that what you meant? Or am I missing something? Isn't it just a consequence of our electoral system that it is this way?

So voting can turn into more 'what you don't want' than 'what you want'.
Oct 2019
3:16pm, 30 Oct 2019
164 posts
  •  
TommyK
Simbil, the only fly in the ointment is that loathed Westminster Leader will not grant the authority to hold a referendum (and Ms Sturgeon has already, rightly, ruled out holding one without that authority).

"Nobody cares about the SNP" south of the border. Fixed that for you, Zorba.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
J2R 296 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
JamieKai 270 D R
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 R R

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.