Lip Gloss
Great news Um
18 Feb
5:13pm, 18 Feb 2024
257 posts
  •  
Boffin
Good news Um πŸ‘

Had far too many visits to the surgery the last couple of months; a place I rarely frequent.
GP is convinced I ought to be on blood pressure medication ( too high). Although I accept the BP is too high and ought to be addressed; I favour diet and excercise rather than beginning to accept medication as the new normal- it will come, although I ought to be able to resist for a few years yet?
After all, elevated BP, weight gain and no exercise are all relatively recent occurrences- be interesting to see if a reversal is an option πŸ™‚

Trouble is, having exercised a little this morning... now I feel 20 years older, exhausted and need an afternoon nap 🀣
18 Feb
5:27pm, 18 Feb 2024
51,785 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Keep resisting
18 Feb
5:28pm, 18 Feb 2024
64,440 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
Do you drink (alcohol) Boffin?
18 Feb
6:59pm, 18 Feb 2024
258 posts
  •  
Boffin
Will try to persevere Pixie πŸ™‚

Not tea total by any means Derby, however beers can sit in the fridge for weeks untouched.

I guess, like most, I go through phases - might have a takeaway, have a couple of beers or maybe wine, enjoy it and have more again the next evening then forget about it for days or weeks πŸ€”
I currently have about a third of a bottle of shiraz which has sat there (closed and vacuum sealed) for days.

The typical question is how many units per week on average... would take some working out as a couple of weeks alcohol free is not unusual.

I am partial to the occasional whisky nightcap... be generous; couple of units per week non average πŸ€”
18 Feb
7:52pm, 18 Feb 2024
64,442 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
I drank quite heavily for decades and had borderline treatable BP for decades too. When I stopped it dropped and I’m told it’s now β€˜textbook’. Sounds like you have much less than I used to take
18 Feb
10:25pm, 18 Feb 2024
259 posts
  •  
Boffin
Excellent stopping the drinking Derby, that cannot be easyπŸ‘ Nice job getting your BP under control πŸ‘

Smoking, drinking, eating, exercise and stress; all factors.

I don't smoke, drink moderately although of little significance... However I do like my food and no longer exercise; two things I ought to be able to control.

Stress is what it is; no controlling that.

I reckon 4/5 are good odds; I choose to work with that πŸ™‚ and resist the medications - have agreed with the GP to review in June.

Chilling at home this afternoon BP 145/86; lowest it has been in weeks - in the bag, easy easy, the NHS can keep their medications for those who need them πŸ˜€
19 Feb
7:50am, 19 Feb 2024
7,300 posts
  •  
Oscar the Grouch
I think you can control stress to some degree - don't get me wrong, there will always be times when things are disproportionately bothering me - but usually a run will sort my head out/make me feel at least a bit better and often the 'solution' to a problem will occur on a run, either on my own or by chatting it through with company. I would normally use the run to ease the problem rather than chatting about it though, but that's just me. We are all an experiment of one :-)
19 Feb
10:18am, 19 Feb 2024
4,113 posts
  •  
NordRunner
Depends on how high high is, but in your shoes I would probably do all three - meds, diet, exercise - now, and use the lifestyle changes to keep it there when it was down to an acceptable level and I could come off the drugs.

About This Thread

Maintained by Sweaty Frank
Here are the Over 50s League Tables

fetcheveryone.com/league?year=2021&age=50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.