•  
Nick Cook

My grandson and a chocolate fondue! :-)
Aug 2019
11:59am, 23 Aug 2019
42,858 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I think one of the most responsible things anyone can do is refrain from having children that they don't really want :) (I was in no doubt, I always intended to have lots of children.)

:) G, I had a really good spring racing season but my left knee developed a clunk towards the end of the Boston Marathon, which I am sure added two or three minutes to my time (if I'd applied for a London GFA place with the result, I'd have squeaked in with three seconds to spare) and then my next two target events were on the bike and when I tried to come back to running I had a proper Bad Knee. After being a swollen mushy mess for a couple of weeks it localised to the ITB and I've been treating it with benign neglect and reduced running. It's fine now apart from an annoying trigger point but it'll take time to build my running back up and I'm not in any hurry, next spring would be soon enough for a peak.
Aug 2019
12:03pm, 23 Aug 2019
114,180 posts
  •  
GregP
We have no children through never quite getting round to it, really. I’m an only child for similar reasons.

Regrets? Sometimes. But I’d have made a rubbish parent.
Aug 2019
12:07pm, 23 Aug 2019
42,859 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I wasn't a brilliant parent but my children were fed, clothed, housed, and provided with better domestic role models, and seem to have become perfectly satisfactory adults.
Aug 2019
12:09pm, 23 Aug 2019
33,821 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
I had two dads - a father and a step-father. They were both rubbish. I always said if I couldn’t make a better hash of fatherhood than them I would not risk it
Aug 2019
12:10pm, 23 Aug 2019
4,353 posts
  •  
quimby
Never wanted children. Very glad to have found a partner who feels the same. We kept rats for about 10 years. They were needy enough. Also there is no NHS for rats. Costly.
Aug 2019
12:17pm, 23 Aug 2019
3,869 posts
  •  
Cyclops
I with V'rap. Wanted children very much but was a barely adequate parent (partly due to their father buggering off and having to work to pay for food and a roof over our head); this produced two resourceful independent children who could cook, clean and look after me from an early age. My son was staggered when he went to uni that there were people who couldn't shop, cook, clean, wash clothes etc and had no idea where to start.
Aug 2019
12:20pm, 23 Aug 2019
33,824 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
Sounds like you did a great parenting job Cyclops
Aug 2019
12:25pm, 23 Aug 2019
10,946 posts
  •  
Garfield
:) All sounds good Cyclops! I too have heard of people who couldn't cook when they went to uni. My mother never let us get away without doing household chores...and the weeding in the summer vegetable beds.
Aug 2019
12:56pm, 23 Aug 2019
2,973 posts
  •  
jabberknit
I'd love to be a Grandma, but doubt very much it will happen. Sigh.

My parenting skills were mediocre at best, still a bit surprised my daughters survived.

About This Thread

Maintained by Sweaty Frank
Here are the Over 50s League Tables

fetcheveryone.com/league?year=2021&age=50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.