Om Shanti Om - The Meditation Thread

2 lurkers | 23 watchers
Dec 2022
3:27pm, 28 Dec 2022
38,860 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
with limited means courses seem out of my budget so it's the "courses" on Headspace or Insight Timer or books for me :-(
Dec 2022
3:49pm, 28 Dec 2022
2,000 posts
  •  
Homeless Kodo
Lol. The old fucking gem of whether Buddhism is a religion or not. Depends on your definition of a religion I guess.
If it’s A) The belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers, regarded as creating and governing the universe. Then no it’s not.
If it’s B) A particular variety of belief organised into a system of doctrine and practice. Then yes it is.
If it’s C) A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader. Then it definitely is.

Whatever it is I’m out on that subject, no one will agree. This thread’s supposed to be about meditation not what constitutes a religion or not.
Dec 2022
3:50pm, 28 Dec 2022
97,182 posts
  •  
Hanneke
EP I teach meditation for free to my students. But sadly, you are too far away :(
Dec 2022
3:56pm, 28 Dec 2022
9,061 posts
  •  
The Terminator
Just seen this thread so going to add a few suggestions and guidance that has helped me in my practice.

Firstly I can recommend the Plum Village app which has so many great resources including guided meditations and dharma talks on being mindful, all completely free, centred on The Plum Village tradition of Buddhism taught by Thich Nhat Hanh.

It also has a mindfulness bell that you can set to ring as often as every fifteen minutes to remind you to come back to your breathing.

Let's all remember though that meditation doesn't have to be about sitting or laying somewhere in silence. Life is a meditation and you can be present in each and every moment, whatever you are doing. If you're eating just eat and concentrate on each mouthful, no phones or music, if you're reading just read, if you're communicating with someone just communicate with them, listen mindfully and respond with compassion etc etc....

And don't try to meditate, if you're trying you're not relaxing, and don't worry if your mind wanders, just the awareness of each moment is enough. The only bad meditation is no meditation.

Namaste x
Dec 2022
4:20pm, 28 Dec 2022
2,001 posts
  •  
Homeless Kodo
Catch you on the flip side, dudes. I’m off on retreat for 3 days from 17:00. Have fun, play nice 😀 xxx
Dec 2022
6:26pm, 28 Dec 2022
17,048 posts
  •  
Garfield
Have fun Homeless Kodo! :)
Dec 2022
7:25pm, 29 Dec 2022
40,167 posts
  •  
Nellers
Trying to get into more of a routine with using headspace each day. I made it a habit a few years back when coming out of a depression episode but since then I've drifted, just dipping in occasionally.

I think it helps whether I'm in a depression or not so this is day 4 of daily meditation.
Jan 2023
3:22pm, 2 Jan 2023
40,191 posts
  •  
Nellers
I've now done a mindfulness thingy (from Headspace) on 8 of the last 9 days. I think the accepted wisdom is that it's 40+ for it to be considered habit but it's a good start.

I'm still very much finding my mind drifting away from the focus on my breathing. I guess that's just going to be a thing and should reduce with more practice/ experience?
Jan 2023
3:41pm, 2 Jan 2023
39,017 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
That's the theory Nellers
Well done
Jan 2023
5:46pm, 2 Jan 2023
97,410 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Drift away, drift back...

About This Thread

Maintained by EvilPixie
Since my stressed out days of teaching I have meditated on and off but totally lost the flow and not...