Om Shanti Om - The Meditation Thread

1 lurker | 23 watchers
Mar 2023
8:06pm, 19 Mar 2023
9,167 posts
  •  
The Terminator
EP I feel you. Have you tried mindful eating? Trying to put your knife and fork down after each mouthful, chewing each mouthful at least 30 times and appreciating the conditions in each mouthful. The labour used in bringing each ingredient from field to plate. Growers, shop workers, transport workers, marketers, etc. The other conditions such as the sun, earth, rain, the fossil fuels, the resources used to make the transport. Then the people who made your plate, knife and fork. The conditions go on and on. The whole cosmos on your plate. Also make sure you are mindful. If eating with others try not to talk for at least the first 5 minutes. No phone, music, TV etc. Eating is a meditation.

For me it helps hugely appreciating the gifts we are provided in this way and stops me over consuming. And whatever price we put on them let's not forget they are gifts from mother earth so, for me, it is only right to be compassionate in my consumption. This works in two ways. I know if I'm not being compassionate to myself then in turn I'm hurting all beings. My loved ones won't be happy if I'm making myself unhealthy through excessive eating or a poor diet nutritionally and in turn their loved ones will then not be happy and so on and so on. And if we are consuming more than we need what about the affect on Mother Earth and her beings? There is lots of over consumption but I can only control myself.

Not sure if this will help but does me. I'm not always as mindful as I'd like but, to finish, the fact you are mindful enough to ask and that I'm aware I'm not always as mindful as I'd like means we are being mindful ๐Ÿ™
Mar 2023
8:17pm, 19 Mar 2023
41,437 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Thank you for taking the time for such a comprehensive reply

I appreciate it and will give that a go

๐Ÿ™
Apr 2023
5:02pm, 11 Apr 2023
3,432 posts
  •  
Kittenheels Kath
So I got to the place in a Headspace guided meditation where you are invited to become aware of the sounds in the room, just in time to hear the cat preparing to be sick. He was standing on Mr Kath's side of the freshly-made bed, aiming for my side. I managed to reach him and scoop him onto the floor just in time.
Apr 2023
5:27pm, 11 Apr 2023
42,243 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Whoops
Apr 2023
5:49pm, 11 Apr 2023
102,012 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Good bit of mindfulness practice Kath ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
May 2023
6:45pm, 22 May 2023
43,286 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Just got 6mths free headspace through Pinterest no card details required ๐Ÿ˜ฎ
12:53pm
12:53pm, 22 Sep 2024
57,774 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Thought Iโ€™d try and resurrect this thread.

Iโ€™m pretty sure I have some stressful months aheadโ€ฆ mum is seeing cardiology tomorrow. When she saw them 2-3 weeks ago they were off to discuss what operation she needed.

In 2009 she had open heart surgery so I know what could be ahead only now sheโ€™s a widow and Iโ€™m the only family she has left.

Already Iโ€™ve noticed myself wanting to comfort eat or drink and I donโ€™t want that to happen.

I figure if I can get some control now that if/when D Day happens (could be 3-4 months off) I donโ€™t end up twice the size I am now.

So Iโ€™m going to try and get back into daily meditation just watching the breath to start with.

If you have any suggestions for reading actions or guided meditations please do say.

Namaste ๐Ÿ™
2:09pm
2:09pm, 22 Sep 2024
57,777 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Just done 5 mins.
On the plus side it felt a lot shorter time!
I focused on breathing but mind wandered a lot and I found several times that I thought about my meals beads.
I have now located them and will use them next time.
3:16pm
3:16pm, 22 Sep 2024
9,933 posts
  •  
MaT.T
Hello EP x

Being aware of your mind wandering is mindfulness in itself. Well done you x

Sorry to hear of your concerns regards thr coming months. I would suggest, as always, the Plum Village app. Completely free, so many great meditations and other reaources. Any dharma on the five remembrances would probably be good for you in this moment.

Namaste ๐Ÿ™
3:16pm
3:16pm, 22 Sep 2024
9,934 posts
  •  
MaT.T
plumvillage.org

About This Thread

Maintained by EvilPixie
Since my stressed out days of teaching I have meditated on and off but totally lost the flow and not...