•  
Hanneke
Nice one HK!
Dec 2022
7:41am, 28 Dec 2022
4,281 posts
  •  
Dillthedog
Ok, a teacher. I get the message. For a while, did attend a meditation session with a Buddhist nun, (monk?) which was really good, but started to become a bit too holy. She started introducing singing and chanting and lots about her leader, which became a bit too spooky for me. As a good catholic boy, going back to church is not something I want to do again. So non secular sounds good. And with living in the sticks, maybe online is a good option too..
Dec 2022
8:19am, 28 Dec 2022
4,282 posts
  •  
Dillthedog
Stirred into action. One of the ladies from our running club has a weekly mindfulness sesssion, restarting in the New Year which I plan to have a bash at. And Mrs Dill also wants to come. She is also a MBSR teacher which wasn’t something I had heard of until HKs blog. The power of fetch, huh?
Dec 2022
8:42am, 28 Dec 2022
1,999 posts
  •  
Homeless Kodo
Excellent DTD, hope it works well for you.
Though I am a practicing Buddhist & the retreat I’m starting tomorrow is run by a Bhikkhuni (nun, Bhikkhu - monk, in Theravada Buddhism) it’s rubbish when religion gets sneaked in, it puts a lot of people off & is contrary to Buddhist teachings.
MBSR is entirely secular but it was developed from Buddhism, so you can see links there if you look hard enough. It was developed by Professor Emeritus Jon Kabat-Zinn at the University of Massachusetts Medical School from about 1979 at the stress reduction clinic. Kabat-Zinn did spend time studying under Zen & Theravada Buddhists.
This was the group I did my MBSR course with. It’s not cheap, but I think it’s a worthwhile investment in yourself.
mindfulness-network.org
Dec 2022
10:15am, 28 Dec 2022
4,283 posts
  •  
Dillthedog
Thanks HK, I now hold you personally responsible for my mental well being 😀
Although I am pretty anti religion, Buddhism does make a lot of sense to me, and follow podcasts like the Buddhist Bootcamp which seem far more relevant to every day life.
Dec 2022
10:18am, 28 Dec 2022
38,843 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
no religious thoughts here either!
there is a lot to be said for the Buddhist ways though but I don't know enough TBH
Dec 2022
3:16pm, 28 Dec 2022
97,179 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Buddhism is a way of life, not a religion!
I have always refused to tick the Buddhism box on questionnaires. Strangely largely to do with the NHS. Like: ethnicity, religion etc
Dec 2022
3:18pm, 28 Dec 2022
38,859 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
I argued with my mum that Buddhism isn't a religion but she wouldn't have it
Dec 2022
3:22pm, 28 Dec 2022
97,180 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Your mum Pix 🙄🙄🙄
Dec 2022
3:23pm, 28 Dec 2022
97,181 posts
  •  
Hanneke
And as a teacher who has teachers I would say: get a teacher 😎

About This Thread

Maintained by EvilPixie
Since my stressed out days of teaching I have meditated on and off but totally lost the flow and not...