Morning Light: The Fetchland Gardening Wire

79 watchers
May 2023
10:08pm, 20 May 2023
3,903 posts
  •  
jacdaw
Thanks RS; that's the best corner at the moment.
May 2023
10:24pm, 20 May 2023
63,928 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I can probably source a fresh baby buddleia or two without going too far from my back door.

eL Bee! got bored with No Mow May today and our lawns are no longer lowering the tone of the neighbourhood. However, he mowed round the clumps of fritillaries because I want the seeds.
May 2023
11:04pm, 20 May 2023
28,969 posts
  •  
Rosehip
Everyone else seems to be no mowing, which means dandelions everywhere. I want the insects to pollinate my fruite and veg, not the bloody dandelions!
May 2023
11:10pm, 20 May 2023
3,904 posts
  •  
jacdaw
My neighbour who mows endlessly and obsessively gets more dandelion flowers between mows than I do without mowing. But dandelions are the greatest thing for seriously hard pressed insects at this time of year. And they are just beautiful. And the French call them pis-en-lit. It's impossible not to love them. You can eat the leaves, make coffee from the roots...
May 2023
11:19pm, 20 May 2023
28,970 posts
  •  
Rosehip
They’re ok in the lawn - but not in my asparagus bed!
I’ve been know to eat the leaves and Eldests tortoise is fond of them too - but the village green behind the house is more dandelion than anything else and the seeds are blowing
May 2023
1:09pm, 22 May 2023
37,305 posts
  •  
Ocelot Spleens
There is life in one of my two 'dead' Agapanthus. Hooray! I doubt it will flower but I could re-pot at the end of summer depending how it goes. Fingers crossed for the last one.

Sunshine was the answer!
3M
May 2023
3:47pm, 22 May 2023
21,313 posts
  •  
3M
A couple of what I-thought-were-dead fuchsias have proven to have green shoots when we came to re-pot stuff. :-)

The dandelions and nettles in strategic parts of my garden can stay (pragmatic - I'm never going to be able to get them all!), but I'm also keen to make it look like I love my garden a bit. Besides, even if I dig them out (for ersatz coffee?), the little yellow perils do pop another plan up a few inches along. (The washed, roast & ground roots taste like mud, anyway! Basically, isn't that what chicory is? Dandelion root?)

I've just planted additional beans and sunflowers in pots in the greenhouse. "Fillers-in" one way or another!
May 2023
4:10pm, 22 May 2023
63,944 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I've put a rowan in a pot into a bigger pot. I want to put it in the ground but the ground I want to put it in may be trampled when we get the fence replaced so it can wait till the autumn.

I've lost so much stuff, but after 3M's post I won't compost the dead-looking fuchsia just yet. The gypsophila and the strawberries seem to have survived.
May 2023
6:30pm, 22 May 2023
103,835 posts
  •  
Hanneke
I always leave "dead" stuff until the end of June. Quite a few things survive. Cut the fuchsia back hard and it may well re-shoot!
May 2023
6:38pm, 22 May 2023
11,168 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
The old stems of my hardy fuchsias have completely died off but thankfully the plants are re- sprouting from the bottom.

Chicory is a different plant with blue flowers but it is related to dandelion.

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP
A wire about gardening.