Morning Light: The Fetchland Gardening Wire

79 watchers
May 2023
8:09am, 24 May 2023
4,434 posts
  •  
Curly45
Too long I meant too much area. Tired this morning.
May 2023
8:18am, 24 May 2023
29,003 posts
  •  
Rosehip
Can’t ‘no mow’ the front garden, sodding local cats would use it as a toilet even more than the nasty things do already

I have a small ‘meadow’ area in the back by the pond that doesn’t get cut - but I dead head the dandelions before the seeds blow. And around the side of the house is a veritable jungle of cow parsley

There are some ‘weeds’ I’d be happy to encourage - I love the smell of
‘Pineapple weed’ when you walk on it, would be nice to swap the dandelions between the patio slabs for that.
May 2023
9:05am, 24 May 2023
4,866 posts
  •  
Elsie Too
I've got myself some new raised beds this year that I'm using for veg and herbs. I have lots and lots of seedlings starting to grow all over all 3 beds that are not something I've planted. I think they may well be melon seedlings due to my putting melon seeds in the compost. Does that sound like something that could happen and what are the chances of melon plants actually doing anything useful in the UK outside if I leave some of them?
May 2023
9:45am, 24 May 2023
18,936 posts
  •  
Cerrertonia
Seems reasonable - melon seeds will germinate if soil conditions are correct, I suppose. They should be pretty easy to recognise - quite big leaves similar to cucumber, squash or courgette.

I've grown melons successfully outside in the UK. They need plenty of sun and plenty of water and will take up quite a lot of space
May 2023
10:17am, 24 May 2023
4,867 posts
  •  
Elsie Too
Thanks Cerrertonia, not sure I'll have enough space but I'll leave a couple of them to start getting bigger and see what happens.
May 2023
1:15pm, 24 May 2023
11,175 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
No chance of doing no mow May with Mr F in charge of the lawnmower, to be fair to him our lawn is so huge it would take a couple of days to cut it with a strimmer if it got too long to mow.
May 2023
1:19pm, 24 May 2023
11,176 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
I know that squashes are notorious for cross pollinating and producing inedible fruit from the resulting seeds. I don’t know about melons but I wouldn’t be surprised if the fruit from them is no good.
May 2023
1:59pm, 24 May 2023
4,868 posts
  •  
Elsie Too
Thanks Fragile DNB. I'll bare that in mind and if I run out of space in my beds then the melons will be the first evicted to leave room for more planned and more likely to succeed plants.
May 2023
3:31pm, 24 May 2023
11,177 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
My wood chip pile has quite a sizeable dog vomit slime mould developing on it. :) Thankfully it doesn’t appear to be something harmful to humans or plants (apart from potentially causing allergic rhinitis).
May 2023
9:34pm, 25 May 2023
22,208 posts
  •  
Columba
Loving your white wisteria, .
Close investigation has revealed that the buddleia davidii has indeed survived, and is sending up new growth from just above ground level.

I thought NomowMay meant no mowing at all since the previous autumn?

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP
A wire about gardening.