Knitting, crocheting and general craftery

169 watchers
Sep 2011
6:14pm, 13 Sep 2011
531 posts
  •  
Nicki No Miles
Well OH has just left do some PT tonight, so I'm getting myself downstairs to my craft room and I'm gonna craft! :-)

Not knitting, but mixed media canvasses - just got this great product called Mod Podge, loving the name :-p
Sep 2011
6:30pm, 13 Sep 2011
2,824 posts
  •  
Cavalryman
Only just caught up with this. The reason I chose yellow was that it is the colour of the locos in the Network Rail fleet, so it is based on an actual engine. As this class of engine has been around since the 1960's (and still going strong) they have seen their fare share of liveries. Add to this the fact that I saw a model of one for sale at an exhibition and it was just a respray and I knew I could have done better when I saw it - what I have done is added proper handrails, horns, lights, buffers and other chassis details that just had not been included
Sep 2011
6:48pm, 13 Sep 2011
8,152 posts
  •  
Meglet
I'm on Ravelry now, under Fetchmeglet as my usual nickname had gone (how dare they?!). Been searching for patterns to make a scarf with Nicki's chunky wool so my favourites is full of all sorts and I'm not quite sure how to decide! I've finished my bauble, will upload a pic later.

Re stashes, the convention seems to be to photograph each ball separately. Is this really necessary? What is the purpose of a stash except to show off?
Sep 2011
7:02pm, 13 Sep 2011
9,240 posts
  •  
HellsBells
Small Boy has just been rifling through my patterns and has requested a black balaclava!
Slightly concerned that he intends to take up rioting and looting as a sideline
Sep 2011
7:05pm, 13 Sep 2011
750 posts
  •  
spinkle
I've seen the yellow diesels Cavalryman, as they take the nuclear waste from the power plant away every week. In fact, they go past my MIL's house and all the kids rush out to wave at the driver.

Us yokels do love them machines, an' all.......

Will now stalk you Meglet on Rav.
Sep 2011
7:32pm, 13 Sep 2011
5,967 posts
  •  
runner duck
lol meglet, i think that's exactly the purpose of a stash! well, the stash on ravelry. your own personal stash can be lovingly picked through. although there is the vicarious pleasure of looking through other people's stashes :)

i'll see if i can find you, nicki and send you the details of the one i did. the pattern had used an aran weight wool (i think) doubled over but i did it in chunky. it's just a basic basketweave but looks effective. but there are lots of others on there if you search for cowl and filter for free patterns (not that i'm a cheapskate ;))

didn't realise you'd done the handrails etc yourself, cm, really impressive detailing.

got to look up mod podge now.

lol hb!

when in the modern art museum in newcastle a couple of years ago there was a massive installation. part of it was mosaics using those paint sample colour card thingies and it's always been in the back of my mind to do something similar. and on my lsr yesterday i brought the idea of that and christmas cards together. i think it might work. (and it took my mind off the pain as i thought of designs). it's been a few years since i made my own cards...
Sep 2011
7:34pm, 13 Sep 2011
5,968 posts
  •  
runner duck
sorry, that was to the scribbler, not nicki about the buttoned cowl. not that i even mention that in my post. thinking of too many things at once!!
Sep 2011
7:42pm, 13 Sep 2011
1,127 posts
  •  
The Scribbler
Oh crumbs, I could just about remember knit and purl. What am I getting into?
Sep 2011
7:46pm, 13 Sep 2011
5,970 posts
  •  
runner duck
noooo! basket stitch if you've forgotten it is along the lines of knit2 purl2 for 2 rows then purl 2 knit 2 for 2 rows. easy peasy.

if you can knit and purl you can do anything. fact!
Sep 2011
7:48pm, 13 Sep 2011
5,971 posts
  •  
runner duck
the mod podge sounds good - be interesting to see if it's as easy as they say. what are you working on, nicki?

About This Thread

Maintained by Helegant
***NEWSFLASH***

Possible tour of the Strictly costume workshops?

Details here: dsi-london.com

The regular "Behind the Seams" tour starts with champagne, lasts about 2 hours and includes lots of crystals and swishy dresses.

DSI London headquarters

The Courtyard

131 Aurelia Road

Croydon

CR0 3BF

If anyone wants to organise a group booking then hand up now please. Groups are Monday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday at 11am or 2pm.

Otherwise we could make individual bookings at £29 each (2pm Saturday or Tuesday)

A thread for those of us who like making 'stuff'.

Recommended yarn/craft shops: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=456

Lists of books/patterns http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=460

Fabric shops - bricks or on-line. fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=556

Article about sewing machines: fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=557