Knitting, crocheting and general craftery

2 lurkers | 169 watchers
Sep 2011
9:01am, 13 Sep 2011
5,945 posts
  •  
runner duck
ooooh good, not just me, then. have done some chores so i'm going to pick a radio drama on iplayer and get knitting for an hour :)
Sep 2011
9:13am, 13 Sep 2011
17,285 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
If this is confession time, I'd done six rows of a sleeve by 8.15am. In my defence, I was filling in the time between my clothes being on and my coffee being cool enough to drink :)

I've got some work for tomorrow afternoon that sounds as if it might include time to do knitting, though I'm always wary when a practice manager tells me that an on-call session is "usually nice and quiet". I confess (since I'm in the box anyway) that I thought, "How much can I charge, how much will be left after tax, and how much Wollmeise will I be able to ask Spinkle to import for me at the prevailing currency exchange rate in December?"
Sep 2011
9:35am, 13 Sep 2011
17,286 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
(The answer was "87.25 grammes". Maybe I shall have to ask the practices I locum for to pay me what they would pay the agency if I was on an agency assignment rather than paying me what I would earn if I was on an agency assignment. I believe there's a 25% difference.)
Sep 2011
9:37am, 13 Sep 2011
5,947 posts
  •  
runner duck
lol maybe the thread should change it's name to craft-addicts ;)

i think you and the practices could split the difference. why should they get all the benefit?
Sep 2011
9:44am, 13 Sep 2011
17,288 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I suppose we sort of do, RD. I charge double the agency rate for house calls, though that's because the agency rate barely covers the fuel in rural practices and not *just* as a deterrent to lumbering me with loads of visits.
Sep 2011
10:39am, 13 Sep 2011
384 posts
  •  
smash
Hello experts, I need some help. My scarf is going very nicely, I did another foot or so whilst listening to the tennis last night. My question is, when do I stop? How long should a scarf be if the recipient is 5ft4? It's made of sock yarn so it's ot a thick scarf./
Sep 2011
10:42am, 13 Sep 2011
17,293 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
What a question, Smash! I'd have thought it would depend on the recipient's preference, and not longer than 4ft unless they like the Dr Who look.
Sep 2011
10:50am, 13 Sep 2011
385 posts
  •  
smash
In that case I've nearly finished!
Sep 2011
11:59am, 13 Sep 2011
17,295 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
justgiving.com

Knitted blanket square patterns :)

I find the principle a bit misguided - most women who go into refuges in this country are neither going to be grateful for a hand-knitted blanket nor treat it with any sort of care and respect. But a blanket square is a blanket square :)
Sep 2011
1:31pm, 13 Sep 2011
2,816 posts
  •  
Kittenheels Kath
It is indeed a blanket square: it will you out of mischief, and the child in the picture looked happy with it. :-)

Apparently there were some knitting questions on University Challenge last night. I feel all clever now.

About This Thread

Maintained by Helegant
***NEWSFLASH***

Possible tour of the Strictly costume workshops?

Details here: dsi-london.com

The regular "Behind the Seams" tour starts with champagne, lasts about 2 hours and includes lots of crystals and swishy dresses.

DSI London headquarters

The Courtyard

131 Aurelia Road

Croydon

CR0 3BF

If anyone wants to organise a group booking then hand up now please. Groups are Monday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday at 11am or 2pm.

Otherwise we could make individual bookings at £29 each (2pm Saturday or Tuesday)

A thread for those of us who like making 'stuff'.

Recommended yarn/craft shops: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=456

Lists of books/patterns http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=460

Fabric shops - bricks or on-line. fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=556

Article about sewing machines: fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=557