Knitting, crocheting and general craftery

1 lurker | 169 watchers
Sep 2011
7:33pm, 12 Sep 2011
8,147 posts
  •  
Meglet
That'll be it! Thought the cover doesn't look particularly familiar.

I do have my Guides and Brownies ladybird books, and my Guide handbook. The minis were rather amused by them, especially our uniforms!
Sep 2011
7:41pm, 12 Sep 2011
9,217 posts
  •  
HellsBells
[IMAGE]

first from the left :-)
Sep 2011
7:53pm, 12 Sep 2011
528 posts
  •  
Nicki No Miles
Great pic! What is the certificate for?....couldnt read it :-)
Sep 2011
7:56pm, 12 Sep 2011
746 posts
  •  
spinkle
I was in Guides around the time of *those* hats.

So practical (NOT)

Though I loved Brownies I thought Guides was boring. Seemed to be making lists and being bitchy (preparation for womanhood?)
Sep 2011
8:03pm, 12 Sep 2011
530 posts
  •  
Nicki No Miles
Yeah same here...didn't last long at Guides :-p

But at least with Brownies you seemed to earn badges for useful things like.....flower arranging, hostess badge etc ;-)
Sep 2011
8:07pm, 12 Sep 2011
5,932 posts
  •  
runner duck
same here, loved brownies, didn't get on with guides.

i have been on a beginners' crochet course and i have the happy hooker. i just need to sit and practise and choose something nice and easy to start. i just need the time to do it as i need some consistent time so i use the hook rather than try to put the wool round the hook. the teacher kept telling me i was trying to knit with a crochet hook ;) i'll probably wait until after i've knitted all my christmas stuff then go for it :)

haven't done any knitting today tho. one of those days.
Sep 2011
8:08pm, 12 Sep 2011
5,933 posts
  •  
runner duck
oops, almost forgot - hello cavalryman *waves*
Sep 2011
9:01pm, 12 Sep 2011
8,148 posts
  •  
Meglet
Ah, maybe that's why I don't get on with knitting, the whole putting the yarn round the needle feels very unwieldy!

Just made elderberry jelly for the first time, in fact first time for any jam. It's yummy!

And yes, I was a guide in those uniforms, I guess the photo is Queen's Guide? I decided not to do Queen's Guide as it seemed too hard. I probably should have just done it.
Sep 2011
9:26pm, 12 Sep 2011
697 posts
  •  
Helegant
oooh, that Wollmeise yarn looks ... very very nice. I've had a look at the web-site and it seems confusing. I haven't worked out how to actually buy anything (which is possibly A Good Thing)
Sep 2011
9:27pm, 12 Sep 2011
747 posts
  •  
spinkle
I could tell you. But it could be a dark dark path you take.

About This Thread

Maintained by Helegant
***NEWSFLASH***

Possible tour of the Strictly costume workshops?

Details here: dsi-london.com

The regular "Behind the Seams" tour starts with champagne, lasts about 2 hours and includes lots of crystals and swishy dresses.

DSI London headquarters

The Courtyard

131 Aurelia Road

Croydon

CR0 3BF

If anyone wants to organise a group booking then hand up now please. Groups are Monday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday at 11am or 2pm.

Otherwise we could make individual bookings at £29 each (2pm Saturday or Tuesday)

A thread for those of us who like making 'stuff'.

Recommended yarn/craft shops: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=456

Lists of books/patterns http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=460

Fabric shops - bricks or on-line. fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=556

Article about sewing machines: fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=557