Knitting, crocheting and general craftery

169 watchers
Sep 2011
9:28pm, 12 Sep 2011
698 posts
  •  
Helegant
;-) And I too wore 'that' hat in Guides.
Sep 2011
9:37pm, 12 Sep 2011
8,150 posts
  •  
Meglet
I still had my hat til about 6 months ago, together with a tie (still rolled up!!), a belt and one of those pouches that goes on the belt. I had to throw the hat away as the synthetic material was disintegrating!

Last year I went to a 100th anniversary celebration with the minis Brownies and Guides (which was actually a bit disappointing). I can remember celebrating 75 years when I was a guide :-o
Sep 2011
10:37pm, 12 Sep 2011
17,282 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
HellsBells, I could have sworn that was Daredevil Tomboy in the picture :)

I was a Guide, and enjoyed it, but was never much of a badge-fiend. I liberated a belt from a charity shop a couple of years ago :)
Sep 2011
10:39pm, 12 Sep 2011
9,220 posts
  •  
HellsBells
Nah - she decided that guides wasn't exciting enough so she's joined the Scouts :-)
Sep 2011
10:48pm, 12 Sep 2011
2,823 posts
  •  
Cavalryman
OK, at present I am buying diesels on ebay, doing them up and selling them - at a profit I must point out [IMAGE].

I am only doing it so that I get practice using my airbrush as I don't do diesels in my line of model making. I am currently in the process of rewiring my layout after some **** trashed the wiring 20yrs ago at a club I used to belong to. The layout is totally fictitious (called Suddon after my IL's old farm in N.Devon). It is set somewhere near Barnstable and I run mainly GWR stuff with some Southern thrown in, all set in about 1943/44 so that I can run some interesting goods trains containing military equipment. Oh yes it is 1/76 scale - aka 00 gauge.
Sep 2011
11:41pm, 12 Sep 2011
5,939 posts
  •  
runner duck
ok, probably a completely numpty question, cavalryman, but why yellow? (i take it it's you that has spray painted it? - it looks very professional!)

finished the back of the waistcoat :)
Sep 2011
7:35am, 13 Sep 2011
17,283 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Do you build engines from little bits and pieces too, Cavalryman? I'm amazed at how much skill and patience goes into modelling, and at the detail people manage to put into the little N and Z gauge layouts.

Having an autistic lad meant I spent a few weekends over the years at model railway exhibitions. Unfortunately, it's not an interest he kept for long enough to do actual modelling. We used to like to plan his fantasy layouts and I really thought I'd get to make papier-mache mountains and arrange little sheep on them.
Sep 2011
7:44am, 13 Sep 2011
748 posts
  •  
spinkle
WOW! that must take a lot of patience CavalryMan!

My ASD lad likes to *plan* these sorts of things but doesn't quite have the motor skills to achieve his (very high) standards and gets a bit despondent if he tries. We're hoping he can design on computers in the near future. He'd really like an iPad, apparently!!

On a course today, so no knitting :(
Sep 2011
8:13am, 13 Sep 2011
5,942 posts
  •  
runner duck
my offspring were never into trains/modellling but oh got his fix of modelling with son when they designed and made a mountainscape for the micromachines. they had huge fun making it and oh got to remember all those tricks from his train-modelling days :)

is it too early to start knitting? i'm feeling the urge. and i was having a minor panic last night as i was totting up all the things i'm supposed to be making between now and christmas...

maybe if is go and do the washing up and hang out the washing i'll have 'earned' some knitting time...
Sep 2011
8:23am, 13 Sep 2011
9,222 posts
  •  
HellsBells
I'm knitting already RD - waiting for first patient at 8:30

About This Thread

Maintained by Helegant
***NEWSFLASH***

Possible tour of the Strictly costume workshops?

Details here: dsi-london.com

The regular "Behind the Seams" tour starts with champagne, lasts about 2 hours and includes lots of crystals and swishy dresses.

DSI London headquarters

The Courtyard

131 Aurelia Road

Croydon

CR0 3BF

If anyone wants to organise a group booking then hand up now please. Groups are Monday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday at 11am or 2pm.

Otherwise we could make individual bookings at £29 each (2pm Saturday or Tuesday)

A thread for those of us who like making 'stuff'.

Recommended yarn/craft shops: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=456

Lists of books/patterns http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=460

Fabric shops - bricks or on-line. fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=556

Article about sewing machines: fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=557