Knitting, crocheting and general craftery

3 lurkers | 169 watchers
Sep 2011
5:39pm, 12 Sep 2011
743 posts
  •  
spinkle
I learnt to crochet from a book and I'm an eejit so it's doable!!

Back with a new laptop. I say 'new' but it is, in fact oldish, 'acquired' by a techie chum for us to 'use up'. Splendid. Nice to have friends, innit?

So, Baby Spinkle is back in skool - finally - after 9 long weeks off. So I strayed onto the Laughing Yaffle site......and you can guess the rest. I realised I had no blues in my stash and so I bought some multicolour with blue in ('Flirt') to ease myself in gently. I have made room in my stash box though, as someone has just bought some of my other stuff.

Finished one of my Trashy X Factor Socks too.
Sep 2011
5:46pm, 12 Sep 2011
17,279 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I have deliberately not looked at the crochet patterns in Ravelry ... ;)

Hope Baby Spinkle's return to school went smoothly.

I had a common-sense override on some Wollmeise on eBay today, deciding that if I was going to spend *that* much on a hank of coloured string I was going to choose the colours myself rather than settle for what someone else had chosen/managed to nick from her friend's stash. I also had a common-sense override on some undyed yarn. I'd rather pay a premium to have someone who actually has a good eye for colour to make pretty wool for me to knit with :)
Sep 2011
5:50pm, 12 Sep 2011
2,822 posts
  •  
Cavalryman
Erm does railway modelling count?
Sep 2011
5:58pm, 12 Sep 2011
17,280 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I should certainly think so, Cavalryman, though you might find that the lines get crossed when we all start talking about "gauge" :)

I am quite disappointed that my son didn't take big time to railway modelling. I used to fantasise about getting to play with those little people and signs and packets of coloured dust :)
Sep 2011
6:03pm, 12 Sep 2011
744 posts
  •  
spinkle
Yes. I believe it does!! Tell all!!

Wollmeise is funny. It comes in 150g - waaay too much for socks (unless you want knee high) and sometimes you can't get the quantities of the colour you need for something bigger. It DOES come in lovely colours though and is great to knit up. The Wollmeise disapproves of those selling it extortionately on Ebay and bans the sellers from her online shop.

The updates can be fun though. If you have a particular fancy for a colour in quantities should tell you *on the quiet* that I'm off to Munich in December and hope to get to the Wollmeise bricks and mortar shop and could *in theory* get it for you. In person, like.

Baby Spinkle seems to have had a good day. This year will be the litmus test as to whether he will get to the end of primary school in mainstream... I'd forgotten how much I'd like to poke his teacher in the eyes though......
Sep 2011
6:08pm, 12 Sep 2011
17,281 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Spinkle, if you don't mind, when December comes round I may just give you a purse of sovereigns and a broad specification :) If I Ravelried my favourite things from my stash - the ones I just look at to cheer myself up - you'd be in no doubt as to my colour preferences!
Sep 2011
6:41pm, 12 Sep 2011
525 posts
  •  
Nicki No Miles
Welcome cavalryman :-) Railway modelling does indeed count! My mother crafts all sorts and my dad has a railway room in their house, guess that's where my love of craft came about. I was in RailRiders....my mother knitted me and my 2 brothers jumpers with the Intercity 125 on :-p (some time ago I add!)

V'rap - I don't mind posting some to you, as it's unlikley I'll see Meglet before the Lakeland Trails. It wasn't very much much to post the parcels today. You wanted non-fluffy yarns didn't you?! I'm sure there's still some in the boxes, so I'll dig some out....and if it ends up not being what you want, just pass it on to someone :-)
Sep 2011
6:49pm, 12 Sep 2011
745 posts
  •  
spinkle
Well, I'll have to go then!....Lord Spinkle agreed to a jaunt to Pffafenhofen if we schlepped around the Bayern Munich Stadium too.

We're actually going for the Xmas market really - there's lebukhen and gluyvain to guzzle. Apols for bad german spelling.
Sep 2011
7:17pm, 12 Sep 2011
8,145 posts
  •  
Meglet
Hi Cavalryman. There's a super little cafe at a place called Stollens near Bolton Abbey. I love going there as it has a model railway upstairs and also sells all the things, I'm as fascinated by the trees, people and cows as I am by the trains! It's also in a farm and there's often cows and calves to look at in the stables outside.

Runnerduck, crochet is not too difficult and it's easy to unpick if you go wrong as there's only one loop! I taught myself as a teenager from a ladybird book! Even then it was rather old fashioned, it had things to make like "a dress for sister" and "a tie for brother". I wish i could find it, its great for refreshing the basics! There's also lots of good YouTube vids, and that Attic24 site has great patterns with really clear patterns. Crochet also grows really fast compared to knitting. :)
Sep 2011
7:30pm, 12 Sep 2011
9,215 posts
  •  
HellsBells
like this Meglet?
amazon.co.uk

About This Thread

Maintained by Helegant
***NEWSFLASH***

Possible tour of the Strictly costume workshops?

Details here: dsi-london.com

The regular "Behind the Seams" tour starts with champagne, lasts about 2 hours and includes lots of crystals and swishy dresses.

DSI London headquarters

The Courtyard

131 Aurelia Road

Croydon

CR0 3BF

If anyone wants to organise a group booking then hand up now please. Groups are Monday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday at 11am or 2pm.

Otherwise we could make individual bookings at £29 each (2pm Saturday or Tuesday)

A thread for those of us who like making 'stuff'.

Recommended yarn/craft shops: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=456

Lists of books/patterns http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=460

Fabric shops - bricks or on-line. fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=556

Article about sewing machines: fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=557