Knitting, crocheting and general craftery

1 lurker | 169 watchers
Sep 2011
1:40pm, 13 Sep 2011
1,125 posts
  •  
The Scribbler
Just picked up a pair of knitting needles for the first time in years if not at least a decade as we did a bit of a charity knit thing at lunchtime at work.

It's has got me thinking I wouldn't mind taking up a simple knitting project - maybe for Christmas gifts. I liked the sound of a short scarf with buttons that someone mentioned on here a while back.

Can you recommend what would get me started in the way of needles, wool, patterns etc and anywhere online I can order?
Sep 2011
2:03pm, 13 Sep 2011
5,950 posts
  •  
runner duck
that was me, ts :)

it was a pattern i found on ravelry. although i did adapt it. but it's easy to adapt. i did it with chunky wool on 6mm needles, i think. have you joined ravelry? if you have friend me and you can see the pattern, i think. or i can point you in the right direction. oh, and i'm jaynie-b on there :)

off to look at details for the blanket, it it a complete one they want?
Sep 2011
2:23pm, 13 Sep 2011
5,955 posts
  •  
runner duck
hmmmm not sure about that blanket thing. why not just accept donations of blankets. why make you pay £5 for an epattern?

i know they are fundraising but it just seems a bit disingenuous.

patterns for charity knitting are usually free...

and the cut-off date is a bit odd, as well.

i do like the idea of making a collective blanket tho :)
Sep 2011
2:25pm, 13 Sep 2011
6,609 posts
  •  
Torry Quine
Hello, I've only just restarted knitting again and already have a couple of projects on the go, a bag for felting and a throw for....... well throwing.
Sep 2011
2:28pm, 13 Sep 2011
5,958 posts
  •  
runner duck
lol tq, just be sure to throw artfully ;)
Sep 2011
3:08pm, 13 Sep 2011
17,298 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
ts, there are lots of patterns on Ravelry and the search function works very well. And there are many, many very good online sellers of yarn and accessories :)

Lest anyone be misled, I won't be shelling out £5 for a book of celebrity-provided patterns for knitted squares or spending time assembling a blanket for those poor little battered wives and children who don't have anything to keep them warm and would be ever so grateful and look after them nicely. The thought makes me cringe. (I may be prejudiced due to having actually worked in Women's Aid shelters.) I suspect the parcels would mostly be opened with a sneer and a "Wha' the f*ck's THIS?"

I may, however, have downloaded the patterns with the intention of paying my fiver if I think any of them are worth knitting up.
Sep 2011
5:05pm, 13 Sep 2011
2,817 posts
  •  
Kittenheels Kath
I heart you, V'rap.
Sep 2011
5:43pm, 13 Sep 2011
749 posts
  •  
spinkle
*sniggers also* Not sure what those women need, but am pretty sure it ain't a blanket...

I treated myself today to a copy of 'Little Red in the City' by Ysolda Teague. I like her stuff and the act she uses a 'big' sized model in the piccies. I'm not going to say 'curvy' or 'larger' though - I cannot stick those euphenisms. There's a lovely cardi in there I want a crack at.
Sep 2011
5:49pm, 13 Sep 2011
5,966 posts
  •  
runner duck
sounds good, spinkle. it certainly helps to get an idea what the clothes will look like on people of a less clothes horse variety :) i've not heard of ysolda teague, will have to look her up :)

i've finished the front of the waistcoat. not sure i really like it but daughter assures me the recipient will, which is all that counts, really.

just doing another coaster.

my race number for liverpool marathon came today. for once taper madness won't be a problem, it'll just be more time to knit ;)
Sep 2011
6:13pm, 13 Sep 2011
1,126 posts
  •  
The Scribbler
Thank you runner duck and V'rap. I've joined Ravelry under the same name as here and may find an excuse to pop to a local haberdashers that I usually use for buttons. Can't believe I'll be taking up knitting again. My Nana would be so proud.

About This Thread

Maintained by Helegant
***NEWSFLASH***

Possible tour of the Strictly costume workshops?

Details here: dsi-london.com

The regular "Behind the Seams" tour starts with champagne, lasts about 2 hours and includes lots of crystals and swishy dresses.

DSI London headquarters

The Courtyard

131 Aurelia Road

Croydon

CR0 3BF

If anyone wants to organise a group booking then hand up now please. Groups are Monday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday at 11am or 2pm.

Otherwise we could make individual bookings at £29 each (2pm Saturday or Tuesday)

A thread for those of us who like making 'stuff'.

Recommended yarn/craft shops: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=456

Lists of books/patterns http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=460

Fabric shops - bricks or on-line. fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=556

Article about sewing machines: fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=557