Knitting, crocheting and general craftery

2 lurkers | 169 watchers
Aug 2011
8:51pm, 28 Aug 2011
675 posts
  •  
spinkle
Why did I click on that link? I've just acquired a little skein for my stash..... Some nice stuff there at reasonable prices.

I've used 2 colours of Noro for a panel of Lizard Ridge (check out on Rav) which was interesting, but obv not that compelling as I haven't done any more....
Aug 2011
8:54pm, 28 Aug 2011
676 posts
  •  
spinkle
I am a bit of a fiend for Wollmeise, I must admit.

I have been known to rush to the computer to get to the shop update at crazy hours of the night/morning. And no, I haven't planned a weekend in Bavaria in order to go the the actual shop....;-)
Aug 2011
8:58pm, 28 Aug 2011
16,991 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Sounds like you've cracked the coasters, RD :) They must be quite tricky to do because a cup or glass has to be stable on them - I think I'd use a smaller size needle, very smooth yarns, and a dense slip-stitch pattern if I was making coasters.

I'm on Ravelry - my user name is my real name - but also have nothing there apart from a wodge of favourite patterns, a couple of buddies, and a habit of consoling myself about the size of my own stash by rummaging through other people's!

I have a bit of a notion to make stuff that could be sold at vegan events, hence my interest in the cotton. I'm also thinking about getting some banana fibre yarn, but can't find a version that isn't chunky, and have some soy "silk" on order.
Aug 2011
9:00pm, 28 Aug 2011
16,992 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
From The Yarn Gallery? Blimey, Spinkle, did I leave something behind? How remiss of me ;)

I hadn't heard of Wollmeise until you mentioned it in an f-mail. I get the impression from Ravelry and eBay that nobody ever actually knits with Wollmeise, it just gets stashed and traded like a commodity.
Aug 2011
9:04pm, 28 Aug 2011
32,446 posts
  •  
mad4purple
Thanks V'rap, I just fancied going along to a shop and having a feel of different yarns etc, recently did a load of squares in some very lovely to crochet with Debbie Bliss Cashmerino DK, totally amazing compared to some of the stuff I have in my stash, but I got it at 1/3 off because it was for a memory blanket and the person selling it knew what it was for, is quite a lot to pay for a ball ordinarily, or maybe I'm a cheapskate. Once I've got an idea of what feels nice to use then I would probably stock up from somewhere if it's loads cheaper. (bad person :( ) I think I saw there is one at the Custard Factory, so I may take a little trip there on Tuesday.

I've the same user name on Ravelry as I have here, but as yet have only put up the 2 scarves I knitted earlier in the year and last year. Have yet to put up my recent additions. I'm currently trying to sort out my photos into some sort of order to put them somewhere like Flickr.
Aug 2011
9:06pm, 28 Aug 2011
677 posts
  •  
spinkle
That's about right. There are crazy folk who just seem to collect it. I think the attraction for them is the difficulty of getting hold of it and it's colours. It can go for mad amounts on ebay, but that can get you banned from the Wollmeise shop apparently! It's traded on Rav at pretty much cost price though.

I like to use it though :) Quel horreur!
Aug 2011
9:07pm, 28 Aug 2011
5,719 posts
  •  
runner duck
i like stash yarns too. and englishyarns.co.uk are pretty good too.

i will upload a photo at some point but i've just done stocking stitch but with a seed stitch border and it seems to work ok. i think because the wool is aran weight but knitted on 4mm needles and it's coarse - it actually feels like it could be used for industrial purposes!

i now need to find out what wollmeise is!
Aug 2011
9:09pm, 28 Aug 2011
678 posts
  •  
spinkle
That could be a dark alley you'd be going down...
Aug 2011
9:10pm, 28 Aug 2011
5,720 posts
  •  
runner duck
your stuff on ravelry is really lovely, spinkle
Aug 2011
9:14pm, 28 Aug 2011
69 posts
  •  
fraggle
I'm pinkfraggle on Ravelry if anyone wants to find me.

.... must look up wollmeise.....

About This Thread

Maintained by Helegant
***NEWSFLASH***

Possible tour of the Strictly costume workshops?

Details here: dsi-london.com

The regular "Behind the Seams" tour starts with champagne, lasts about 2 hours and includes lots of crystals and swishy dresses.

DSI London headquarters

The Courtyard

131 Aurelia Road

Croydon

CR0 3BF

If anyone wants to organise a group booking then hand up now please. Groups are Monday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday at 11am or 2pm.

Otherwise we could make individual bookings at £29 each (2pm Saturday or Tuesday)

A thread for those of us who like making 'stuff'.

Recommended yarn/craft shops: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=456

Lists of books/patterns http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=460

Fabric shops - bricks or on-line. fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=556

Article about sewing machines: fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=557