Knitting, crocheting and general craftery

3 lurkers | 169 watchers
Apr 2020
2:37pm, 24 Apr 2020
3,385 posts
  •  
jabberknit
I'm definitely a 'process' rather than a 'product' knitter - I love doing the knitting, but lose interest once the piece is finished, and want to get on with the next thing. Perhaps you're the same type of crafter, Scribbler. My gothically-inclined daughter has some interesting, distinctly non-twee cross-stitch patterns.

After a long break due to my arthritic thumb joints, I've given knitting another go and it's been OK, as long as I don't do too much at a time. I've been doing a simple little scarf/shawl thing, an easily memorised two-line pattern. Needed something to help keep me calm while spending the lockdown with my 90 year old Mum, who went a bit bananas after developing a UTI (fortunately, she's over the worst of it now, almost back to her normal cantankerous self, and no longer believes the woman next door is sneaking into the house through the loft and stealing stuff).
Apr 2020
3:09pm, 24 Apr 2020
46,197 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
That looks like good meditative knitting, jabberknit :)
Apr 2020
3:22pm, 24 Apr 2020
3,386 posts
  •  
jabberknit
It is, V'rap. I did wonder if it might be a bit boring, but my Mum has been providing all the drama, so a bit of mindless clicking with the needles has proved very relaxing.
Apr 2020
3:24pm, 24 Apr 2020
46,199 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I took up knitting again after a long gap when my mum was very ill nine years ago. I still have the thing I made first, with the first wool I snaffled from eBay. It's a chunky floor mat. I haven't sewn the backing on to it yet :-O
Apr 2020
3:36pm, 24 Apr 2020
3,387 posts
  •  
jabberknit
You can't rush good work.

I have a 15 year old UFO - a V-neck jumper I was knitting for a daughter, but I completely miscounted when doing the front, and the point of the V is about 3 inches off centre. I just can't bring myself to frog and redo that bit, but there's just too much knitting in there to frog it completely and do something useful with the yarn.
Apr 2020
6:26pm, 24 Apr 2020
17,266 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
cdn.shopify.com

What does

“Row 9-10 set the pattern” mean?
Apr 2020
6:38pm, 24 Apr 2020
26,664 posts
  •  
HellsBells
When it says „continue in pattern for x distance“ you repeat those 2 rows over and over again
Apr 2020
6:38pm, 24 Apr 2020
26,665 posts
  •  
HellsBells
Sorry for errant speech marks - keyboard still set to German after my daily session
Apr 2020
6:44pm, 24 Apr 2020
17,267 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Got it now
Had to re read!
Apr 2020
6:44pm, 24 Apr 2020
3,389 posts
  •  
jabberknit
Usually means that the rows mentioned form the actual pattern of the main part of the blanket, EP.

You just keep repeating those two rows, changing the colours as it tells you to in the rest of the pattern.

About This Thread

Maintained by Helegant
***NEWSFLASH***

Possible tour of the Strictly costume workshops?

Details here: dsi-london.com

The regular "Behind the Seams" tour starts with champagne, lasts about 2 hours and includes lots of crystals and swishy dresses.

DSI London headquarters

The Courtyard

131 Aurelia Road

Croydon

CR0 3BF

If anyone wants to organise a group booking then hand up now please. Groups are Monday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday at 11am or 2pm.

Otherwise we could make individual bookings at £29 each (2pm Saturday or Tuesday)

A thread for those of us who like making 'stuff'.

Recommended yarn/craft shops: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=456

Lists of books/patterns http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=460

Fabric shops - bricks or on-line. fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=556

Article about sewing machines: fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=557