Garmin

214 watchers
Jan 2023
11:38am, 26 Jan 2023
15,958 posts
  •  
Badger
I found some documents saying that precise R-R timing for HRV needs a digitisation rate around 1kHz minimum - a bit lower might still work for showing the shape accurately. I would think the data would compress non-lossily nicely as the waveform is pretty simple compared to audio.
Jan 2023
11:52am, 26 Jan 2023
2,604 posts
  •  
Steve NordRunner
I forgot the HRV bit. I've no idea what's in an HRM-Pro but I suppose there is easily some kind of signal-processing chip, considering an ipad is more powerful than a Cray 2.
Jan 2023
1:58pm, 26 Jan 2023
15,769 posts
  •  
chunkywizard
I bet its an M33 approx 100MHz. I haven't seen a teardown but it's BT/ANT+ and modern MCUs with that spec tend to be M33 based.
Jan 2023
2:02pm, 26 Jan 2023
2,295 posts
  •  
Bowman ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ช
And what does all this mean?
There's not enough or the right "capacity", most likely, in the HRM straps?
Jan 2023
6:11pm, 26 Jan 2023
15,959 posts
  •  
Badger
Too many unknowns, not least whether the firmware has enough room for the extra code that would be needed, and how hard it would be to implement that.

I think this is a fair representation of what people have said:

We have no idea how the strap decides the R-wave position; it could be digitising the voltage it sees continuously and processing that for peaks, it could be an analog circuit that locates it and kicks the main chip every time it sees one, which would rule out this whole idea with current hardware.

We think it's highly likely that the unit is capable of digitising the whole waveform standing on its head, in terms of processing and analog-to-digital conversion rates, but we don't know if it sees it, and obviously it isn't currently programmed to hold and transmit that waveform.

A lot of current units can store hours of HR data (as heart rates once per second plus R wave intervals, so not much data per beat) and forward it to the watch later, so it wouldn't be a problem scanning the ECG for half a minute or so then forwarding that to the watch, maybe compressing it so it's reasonably quick even with the slow data rates of ANT.
Jan 2023
6:13pm, 26 Jan 2023
2,296 posts
  •  
Bowman ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ช
Cool thanks !
Jan 2023
11:45pm, 26 Jan 2023
15,961 posts
  •  
Badger
Interesting. The Polar H10 sends ECG over Bluetooth at 130Hz (no other chest strap does AFAIK)

github.com

Sample rate might be a bit lower than ideal
muscleoxygentraining.com

But people have got clinically useful information from it

e-coretvasa.cz
Feb 2023
1:16pm, 1 Feb 2023
28,694 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
It looks like the server that sends us FIT files from Garmin is having a senior moment. 160+ files in the queue at the moment - but FE will keep trying until it recovers. I'll post again when there's news.

Showing multiple reports of errors here:

downdetector.co.uk
Feb 2023
1:19pm, 1 Feb 2023
2,261 posts
  •  
Big_G
Yeah, itโ€™s not working for me, and my data hasnโ€™t been pushed to other places either.
Feb 2023
1:27pm, 1 Feb 2023
5,284 posts
  •  
Groundhog
My lunchtime walk got uploaded to Garmin and pushed through to Strava. Maybe still in the queue for Fetch?

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
For all questions and comments about Garmin devices, including importing to Fetch.