Fetch Camper Vans

3 lurkers | 93 watchers
Aug 2023
7:44am, 19 Aug 2023
2,736 posts
  •  
RunningRonnie
They drive the single track* not they should drive.
Aug 2023
8:14am, 19 Aug 2023
3,975 posts
  •  
Ally-C
I was stuck behind a tourist the other day near Loch Katrine driving 14mph 😡
Aug 2023
8:14am, 19 Aug 2023
39,929 posts
  •  
halfpint
The inability to drive single track roads and use passing places is not unique to Skye. QP and I propose that anyone coming to the highlands needs to take a test :)
Aug 2023
8:25am, 19 Aug 2023
2,779 posts
  •  
Big_G
As a tourist to Scotland myself, but someone who often deals with tourists who seemingly can’t drive on country roads on Dartmoor, I sympathise. When I’ve been to Scotland I found the country roads with regular passing places worked really well, but I guess it only takes a relatively small number of drivers who don’t know what they’re doing to cause chaos. :(
Aug 2023
8:34am, 22 Aug 2023
2,744 posts
  •  
RunningRonnie
Last weekend I took advantage of the camp ground at the British Touring cars Knockhill stage. Can't say it was the nicest camping experience ever, but we were nice and close to the track. Generators are very annoying and we were crammed in between two other vans side on. Thankfully after 11pm it was silent though and the campsite showers and toilet facilities were surprisingly good.

Planned to stay the Sunday night after the racing, but the weather was terrible so we packed up in a rush in the pouring rain and headed home.

My battery did well, but I was constantly on the lookout for it going down. I took a 2 litre bottle of frozen water in the fridge which helped keep it cool and then doubled up as drinking water when it melted. Needed the diesel heater a couple of times though, when we got back to the van soaking after the racing. Drying clothes out in a wee campervan is no ideal!

Aug 2023
11:08am, 22 Aug 2023
17,215 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
I remember the night we stayed at World Super Bikes at Brands Hatch in a tent - was an experience to say the least 😂

Ok talk to me about Wales - favorite places must see places - starting to plan next years trips
Aug 2023
11:52am, 22 Aug 2023
1,818 posts
  •  
forest plodder
We were on the Sleat peninsular on Skye at the end of May last year, and it wasn't busy at all. We headed north up the coast afterwards and found everyone seemed to know exactly how to manage the single track roads with passing places. Most of the time there was good visibility, so easier then narrow west country lanes with backs and hedges both sides.
Aug 2023
11:57am, 22 Aug 2023
2,787 posts
  •  
Big_G
Not an expert but Gower peninsular in Wales is lovely. We found Tenby and around that area to be surprisingly nice too, although I imagine gets busy in peak times. Mwnt was a very pleasant cove with great coast path walks and cliffs either side, and slightly more off the beaten track.

Aug 2023
12:43pm, 24 Aug 2023
7,326 posts
  •  
Helegant
We've spent the last three weekends away in the van and just got back yesterday from a trip that had no electric hook-up. It all worked surprisingly well except that I had no way to charge my laptop - apparently the USB C link that I planned to use isn't high-enough voltage.

Mr has found an inverter in the garage that allows him to plug into the cigarette lighter socket and has a three pin socket for my laptop mains lead. If that can be shown to work then we're good to go for longer trips (this last one was 6 nights).

Has anyone else solved the problem?
Aug 2023
12:57pm, 24 Aug 2023
25,729 posts
  •  
GimmeMedals
We've just taken advantage of a sad occasion to use our camper van for a couple of nights. Our relatives all live in Coventry and we are over 2 hours north of there. It was my uncle's funeral yesterday, so I found a relatively cheap site at Marton and we headed down late on Tuesday so we didn't need to set off early yesterday morning and came home this morning.
It worked really well. It meant we could take Stanley Dog with us instead of leaving him home alone for 10 hours, which he'd struggle with. It also meant that we could hang around at the Wake until it came to an end so had plenty of time to chat to all of the relatives, most of whom I haven't seen for 10 years, a few for 35 years and some (children of cousins) I've never met before.
The site was basic, but it met our needs and was only 10 miles from the crematorium at Rugby and similar distance from the pub where the Wake was held, so the journey in both directions was straight forward and short.
Going in the camper van was beneficial - on our way to the crem, I got a message from my sister asking if we'd just gone past the Dun Cow pub, where they'd stopped for a toilet break. I replied that we'd brought our toilet with us.
When we were at the Wake, Geoff went to the van to get changed out of his black suit into something cooler, so he could relax in the pub garden in the sunshine.
If we'd had a bit more time there, I'd have arranged to meet up with a couple of local Fetchies I know :)

About This Thread

Maintained by AntClark
Share the VW (or other) Camper Van love, which Fetchies have Campers? Can't beat a Camper for Race ...