EU Referendum - In or Out? Vote here

70 watchers
Oct 2016
8:36pm, 24 Oct 2016
161 posts
  •  
deslauriers
When you reduce a very complex issue to a binary question, this is what happens. People polarise. I am in the eyes of some an unpatriotic, whinging traitor who is too stupid to see that the EU is doomed in any case. Doesn't look like it right now, although Brexit may prove to be a catalyst...The irony of this is that ostensibly we have left to satisfy many people's concerns about immigration. Germany, from the confines of the EU, has just voted to reduce immigration. We could have done this and remained in the EU. I'm not even sure that the concerns about immigration stem from EU immigration.

As for the question of stereotyping, I understand that many who voted Leave are horrified at what is going on. I refer back to my original point: Cameron is a cowardly fool, unable to take on UKIP and their cast of delightful supporters. It was always clear which side that particular section of the populace was going to take in this. Unintended consequences or troubles that could have been foreseen?
Oct 2016
8:44pm, 24 Oct 2016
1,758 posts
  •  
Fellrunning
People voted at the end of a fairly vociferous and open campaign. Those that voted leave they knew what they were voting for, the sort of people they were lining up with, and the agendas that those people had.

If you sup with The Devil use a long spoon....
Oct 2016
9:09pm, 24 Oct 2016
3,857 posts
  •  
Doctor K
The risk to the EU trade deal with Canada because of a region in Belgium is a bit farcical and an example of why the EU bureaucracy and involving 28 member states is too cumbersome sometimes
Oct 2016
9:21pm, 24 Oct 2016
162 posts
  •  
deslauriers
Doctor K- point taken. But flouncing out of the club while insulting everyone doesn't exactly bode to well for the UK, though, does it?

Yes, the EU is imperfect. But surely it's better to be on the inside where we can influence things rather than trying to live out a fantasy that the world is desperate for what we have. I have never heard any economic argument for Brexit that actually seems plausible. They all seem to hinge on short term turmoil/economic pain (although I don't remember that being said until very recently, however) and then for some reason the EU collapses and then somehow we get very rich with loads of trade deals. Put simply, if the Euro collapses, we'll suffer greatly through contagion in the financial system even if we stop goods trading with EU states altogether.
Oct 2016
10:04pm, 24 Oct 2016
13,386 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
I quite agree with the thought that the idea of an migrstion problem does not kjust stem from europe. Therefore a number of brexit voters will be sorely dissapointed.
Oct 2016
10:23pm, 24 Oct 2016
5,960 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
If you go to B & Q at Old Kent Road, you will see a lot of mainly Romanians hanging around outside, touting for cash in hand work on building sites, any form of labouring basically. They sleep in cars parked outside. There were some women there touting to. Didn't look to be pros. Also in attendance were 4 security guards including a dog unit due to the intimidation of shoppers, theft from vehicles and violence between the guys standing around. I suppose it's almost panhandling.

I was there yesterday as was helping a mate on a project. Very eye-opening for me actually. B and Q are supposedly going to let the lease run down.

I don't think the above is a ringing endorsement of the EU. Nor is the Canada deal Doctor K mentioned.
Oct 2016
10:24pm, 24 Oct 2016
7,768 posts
  •  
Badger
The flip side of the Canada deal is that it makes it clear that individual countries *can* have an influence on collective EU decisions.
Oct 2016
10:34pm, 24 Oct 2016
1,683 posts
  •  
Cheg
Yeah they can influence it by preventing things from happening, rather than making things happen.
Oct 2016
10:35pm, 24 Oct 2016
3,175 posts
  •  
Molesy
Although in this case isn't it a bit like Cornwall vetoing the whole deal? I'm sure Ms. Sturgeon would be in favour but it does seem a bit ridiculous.
Oct 2016
11:40pm, 24 Oct 2016
7,770 posts
  •  
Badger
In this case, yup, indeed it is. I'm not sure I see what your point is. Would you want one country to push something forward at the expense of all the others?

About This Thread

Maintained by CStar
Time to cast your vote for Fetchland to be part of the EU or to pull up the drawbridge and simply do...