EU Referendum - In or Out? Vote here

1 lurker | 70 watchers
Oct 2016
11:46pm, 24 Oct 2016
1,684 posts
  •  
Cheg
I'd rather a 75% majority or something similar made a decision binding. Rather than requiring 100% across the board agreement. It gives too much power to countries, particuarly smaller ones to throw a spanner in the works.
Oct 2016
1:19am, 25 Oct 2016
1,123 posts
  •  
jdarun
I think in practice a large majority of decisions are made by qualified majority voting, but the most major ones do need unanimity.
Oct 2016
6:35am, 25 Oct 2016
4,905 posts
  •  
Winded
Reading back. Hmmmmmmm.

TMW - I don't doubt there is bit of the Old Kent Road that has people on it who live in their cars and tout for building work. Didn't a lot of Irish people do that in the 50's? I'm not saying it's the same or that Irish=Romanian but there are clearly similarities.

WS- re David Cameron saying he would do everything he could and then fucking off. Not having him is better than having him so that is the best thing he could do IMHO. He was a weak leader, a terrible negotiator and a serial misjudger of the political climate.
Oct 2016
7:08am, 25 Oct 2016
5,993 posts
  •  
Jambomo
Isn't it the same issue in the CETA deal that has prevented it as with TTIP, the section that looks like it allows governments to be sued over contracts (though it is argued whether that is the case of not).

I actually think it's been good that Wallonia have stopped it as this part is obviously contentious and perhaps needs looked at again. I am glad that small states in the EU do have some ability in determining decision making.
Oct 2016
7:42am, 25 Oct 2016
1,759 posts
  •  
Fellrunning
Weak or not, Cameron's policies had undergone electoral scrutiny and he'd been elected. I'd rather have him than a PM appointed by a few hundred MP's with no electoral mandate and a right wing cabal of a cabinet doing exactly as they please...
Oct 2016
8:21am, 25 Oct 2016
163 posts
  •  
deslauriers
TMW- Unfettered immigration, EU or non EU immigration, is the fault of the UK government not the EU. As I said earlier, Germany has just voted to have very strict levels of immigration within the confines of the EU. The problem you describe is a failure of the Home Office. Remind me, who was in charge of that again?

In addition, leaving the EU will simply mean that the nationalities of the people you mention in Old Kent Road will change. People complain about EU migrants driving down wages. Wait until they are replaced by Commonwealth immigrants (we all accept immigration won't stop; even UKIP has admitted that) and see what happens to the downward spiral of wages. In fact, Liam Fox would probably welcome it as he seems to think all UK business people are fat and lazy.

Wallonia stopping CETA demonstrates that in large complex questions, the EU doesn't accept tyranny by the majority. Another lesson for us perhaps?
Oct 2016
9:04am, 25 Oct 2016
1,760 posts
  •  
Fellrunning
Today might be a good day to start negotiations with the French. St Crispins day. 601st anniversary of the battle of Agincourt. We'll need the Welsh though.....
Oct 2016
9:15am, 25 Oct 2016
13,389 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
Winded. Indeed he was weak. He seemed to me to be pleasing one wing or faction of his party at a time. I feel May looks the same. No real vision of where we are heading.
Oct 2016
7:32pm, 25 Oct 2016
3,177 posts
  •  
Molesy
My point was Badger that, in this case, it's not even a whole country blocking the whole deal but one region. How far do you take that?
Oct 2016
9:28pm, 25 Oct 2016
13 posts
  •  
Cyclone Ranger
Why are people threatened by people from somewhere else turning up looking for work? Surely in a free market economy that would be encouraged?

About This Thread

Maintained by CStar
Time to cast your vote for Fetchland to be part of the EU or to pull up the drawbridge and simply do...