EU Referendum - In or Out? Vote here

1 lurker | 70 watchers
Oct 2016
9:29pm, 25 Oct 2016
4,906 posts
  •  
Winded
Re electing the PM. Perhaps we should but we don't. No PM has ever been elected [as PM] in the history of the UK. A great many PM's have assumed office without a general election.

fullfact.org

You will notice that although many subsequently remained PM when their party won a majority in an election it is more common for individuals to first become PM without a general election than it is for them to become PM with one.

The simple truth is that if you want to elect a PM you should get a different political system or move to a country where they do that. We elect MPs who decide [through their party systems] how to elect a leader and that leader is then asked to form a government by the monarch.

The mandate in our system derives from the sum of the mandates given to each MP; the May government has an electoral mandate. As for the policies having electoral scrutiny - well Cameron was stupid enough to suggest as a policy before the last general election that we should have a referendum on the EU - so I don't buy the idea that the policies have not been put to the people. Quite the reverse. It is all about the EU; the other stuff the May government does is short term and/or window dressing.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not a great fan of the current leadership but me not agreeing with what(and how) they want to do things doesn't mean it is not a democratically legitimate government.
Oct 2016
10:17pm, 25 Oct 2016
199 posts
  •  
fartlek
From fellrunning:

"People voted at the end of a fairly vociferous and open campaign. Those that voted leave they knew what they were voting for, the sort of people they were lining up with, and the agendas that those people had.

If you sup with The Devil use a long spoon...."

Rrom one of my favourite reads :-) Perhaps there is a god after all!

christiantoday.com
Oct 2016
10:18pm, 25 Oct 2016
200 posts
  •  
fartlek
from
Oct 2016
10:19pm, 25 Oct 2016
201 posts
  •  
fartlek
that typo correction got me up to 200 posts :-)
Oct 2016
10:24pm, 25 Oct 2016
1,761 posts
  •  
Fellrunning
Well they do say that God is an Englishman....
Oct 2016
10:25pm, 25 Oct 2016
770 posts
  •  
beebop
Scary stuff.
Oct 2016
10:34pm, 25 Oct 2016
1,762 posts
  •  
Fellrunning
Bollox yes - scary no.

Its a poll from Lord Ashcroft who stops some way short of being the antichrist.
Oct 2016
10:45pm, 25 Oct 2016
202 posts
  •  
fartlek
from another of my favourite reads :-)

christianitytoday.com
Oct 2016
10:59pm, 25 Oct 2016
1,763 posts
  •  
Fellrunning
Actually the original Greek translations of the Aramaic gospels contain quite a lot of coarse language.

I'm not quite sure where you're going with this or what point you're trying to make.

"If you sup with the devil use a long spoon" is a secular saying from Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.
Oct 2016
11:00pm, 25 Oct 2016
10,101 posts
  •  
Chrisull
200 posts? You guys really haven't been trying hard enough :-).

About This Thread

Maintained by CStar
Time to cast your vote for Fetchland to be part of the EU or to pull up the drawbridge and simply do...