Electric car anyone?

2 lurkers | 72 watchers
Aug 2021
2:12pm, 3 Aug 2021
23,019 posts
  •  
Dvorak
You see :-) G, if an electrical cable is stretched taut that increases the impedance, meaning that the flow of electrons is impeded. The current has to maintain the same frequency but the amplitude (the size of vibrations within the cable) is reduced, so much less energy can travel from one end to the other in the same time.

That's why, if you look at electricity pylons, there is always a bit of sag in the cables, to allow the maximum power to be transmitted.
Aug 2021
3:05pm, 3 Aug 2021
7,220 posts
  •  
paul the builder
That's true if the cable is truly stretched (permanently lengthened). More likely G just had a slightly less good electrical contact at the plug/socket connection due to the tension.
Aug 2021
5:15pm, 3 Aug 2021
39,412 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Thanks both. Just don't do it is the main lesson I am taking from the debacle! :-) G
Aug 2021
7:25am, 4 Aug 2021
6,973 posts
  •  
FenlandRunner
Hi HappyG, if I've got it right the Octavia PHEV is 10,0 kWh.
Aug 2021
8:14am, 4 Aug 2021
39,417 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Hope your electric journey needs are short then FR - that's not going to do even 40 miles, I don't think! Quick to charge though! :-) G
Aug 2021
9:41am, 4 Aug 2021
15,846 posts
  •  
MarkyMarkMark (3M)
One of my friends has a hybrid (Volvo, I think). Theoretical maximum mileage on electric is only 44 miles!!

But it's a company car, and as he works less that 8 miles from his home in normal times, it would actually be an entirely "electric journey" for a normal commute. I don't think he's had occasion to drive anywhere remote for work since he got it!
Aug 2021
9:57am, 4 Aug 2021
23,028 posts
  •  
Dvorak
I have a thought that the ideal solution for most people would be a plug in hybrid with a range of around 100 miles. Maybe currently the battery weight would be too high to be worthwhile? Or battery cost? But maybe in 4-5 years it won't be.

Why get something much more expensive (and probably still with a relatively limited range) when you could have the best of both?

(For my needs, a plug-in with 40 miles of reliable range would do nearly all the time, as long as I charged it (I'd need a 15m lead). 100 miles with an ICE back-up would cover any situation, probably 97% on electric.)
Aug 2021
10:49am, 4 Aug 2021
4,590 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Depending on how you look at it, hybrids are either the best of both worlds or the worst of both worlds

Best - if you do mainly short daily journeys with occasional longer journey, then you get most of your miles as an EV, so good for enviro, plus cheaper if you have decent electricity tarriffs, no range anxiety, etc

Worst - you've got two powertrains in the same vehicle. When in electric mode your carting around the weight of all the ICE bits and pieces affecting fuel economy. Same when in ICE mode, your carting around the weight of the redundant batteries and electric motors. Servicing and maintenance has two different systems to maintain, so more complicated and expensive.

The beauty of the BEV is the simplicity of it, getting rid of loads of oily mechanical stuff and replacing with a simple motor.

For some people's circumstances though I can see how a hybrid would currently appeal, but hopefully improvements in battery range in the next few years will render hybrids obsolete.
Aug 2021
11:06am, 4 Aug 2021
23,029 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Battery pricing: I've been keeping an eye on electric bikes for several years. Afaik battery prices have come down little, if at all. And it's not because you are getting double the range at the same price. You want range, you pay big.

There have been developments in battery type touted, generally some variation on lithium, but little has come of it. Unless there is a real step change, the power/cost ratio on batteries may be the stumbling block going forward.
Aug 2021
4:40pm, 5 Aug 2021
39,425 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I think it's got to be 100% electric and the prices will come down when they hit some critical proportion of the market. At the moment, I presume they are at that "new tech cost" stage - they are recouping some of the R&D with high prices and relatively low volumes. When everyone needs/wants one, the price will come down as volumes go up? Or am I being naïve?!

Or put it another way - when 300 mile plus range is low to middle of the pack, that will become a medium priced car as opposed to premium. The 500 mile range car, or faster, or more luxurious will command premium prices but the "runaround" like mine will come down in price?

But I'm no economist! :-) G

About This Thread

Maintained by larkim
Nattering about EVs; are you thinking about owning one? Do you own one? Are you terrified of owning one?

A thread for those with range anxiety, eco friendliness and petrol heads alike!

Some current vehicles that Fetchies have:-
HappyG Hyundai Kona 64kWh 240-280 miles range
ev-database.uk
larkim MG4 SE LR 61.7kWh usable (64kWh advertised)
ev-database.org
larkim (Now sold) Peugeot e208 46kWh usable (50kWh advertised) 180-220 miles range
ev-database.uk
ThorntonRunner Pre-facelift MG5 (LR Exclusive). 61kWh, 57kWh usable
ev-database.org
Jenelopy BYD Atto 60.5kWh usable
ev-database.org
Runningbear21 Jaguar i-Pace 84.7kWh
ev-database.org

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.