Electric car anyone?

72 watchers
Aug 2021
6:51pm, 6 Aug 2021
6,976 posts
  •  
FenlandRunner
Perhaps it is the base model Tesla but the rear brake lights look like candles. Very low rent for an expensive motor.
Aug 2021
1:34pm, 9 Aug 2021
2,662 posts
  •  
HappyTimes
£28bn per year lost revenue from fuel duty when/if we get to the removal of ICE vehicles.
Any thoughts on where this will be added in taxation?
Aug 2021
1:40pm, 9 Aug 2021
39,441 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Down to 20.9Bn already HT!

I'm not sure it's quite the way to look at it. HMG gets 10Bn from tobacco, but don't think if we got smoking down to 0 in the UK, that we'd feel that the 10Bn was wasted?! Ditto fuel - the cost to the environment (and hence to the UK economy through flood and storm damage etc.) is far greater.

The gov't needs to balance books. But examples might be that the green technology and industries revolution will increase employment so income tax receipts go up. Or tax on long distance flying or multiple flights per year etc.?
Aug 2021
1:43pm, 9 Aug 2021
39,442 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I had a bit of a blip on Sat/Sun. My car didn't charge overnight. I think the cable needs to be firmly in and I had put it in place rather quickly because it was raining. On Sunday I had a 130 mile round trip planned. Woke up with 150 mile range and car hadn't been charged! :-O

It was fine, I got back with 25 miles left, which isn't too shabby given some EVs originally only had 50 mile range!

But I've learned to check that car is charging at full speed before setting it to overnight charging.

However, a simple innovation here would be that when plugging in cable it did a quick test of full power charging and told you if it was sub par. :-) G
Aug 2021
1:43pm, 9 Aug 2021
4,591 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Plus loss of VED as all EVs are free (at the moment)

Road pricing has been talked about as the likely way ahead, how that would work in practice I've no idea - do all cars need a black box and you get charged for every mile, or ANPR on major routes in which case back roads would become congested to avoid it, etc
Aug 2021
1:49pm, 9 Aug 2021
39,443 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I guess I just don't see it as an issue - macro economics and all that. Effectively, you want to tax bad things or affordable things and subsidise good things or hard things. Simples. You don't have to tax driving / transport at all, if you don't want. You can just tax people.

But I'd say for example that in the future when there are auto driving cars, you could tax: car ownership (non-use); single occupancy (low-use); new purchase (lack of re-use) etc. :-) G
Aug 2021
1:53pm, 9 Aug 2021
12,607 posts
  •  
mrs shanksi
I agree with you HappyG, we need to stop using ICEs for the sake of the environment, whatever the tax implications imo.
Aug 2021
1:57pm, 9 Aug 2021
2,663 posts
  •  
HappyTimes
HG
The spend on flood prevention and after effects will still be there though will it not.
At least for a good long period.
I don't believe we are going to be in position of reversing the climate changes we have already seen, we are at best for some time only going to slow them.

Clearly we need to move to a far more sustainable way of life and live WITH our planet.
Is raping it of a different finite resource the best answer ?

Transport isn't really a choice for many, it's a necessity and taxing/pricing them out of that isn't in my eyes that helpful overall either.
Aug 2021
1:33pm, 10 Aug 2021
34 posts
  •  
roflaherty
I'm picking my new ID.3 up on Friday!!
Aug 2021
3:12pm, 11 Aug 2021
6,097 posts
  •  
Fizz :-)
Wasn't there a link recently about electrifying roads? A press release from my employer last week . . .

theconstructionindex.co.uk

About This Thread

Maintained by larkim
Nattering about EVs; are you thinking about owning one? Do you own one? Are you terrified of owning one?

A thread for those with range anxiety, eco friendliness and petrol heads alike!

Some current vehicles that Fetchies have:-
HappyG Hyundai Kona 64kWh 240-280 miles range
ev-database.uk
larkim MG4 SE LR 61.7kWh usable (64kWh advertised)
ev-database.org
larkim (Now sold) Peugeot e208 46kWh usable (50kWh advertised) 180-220 miles range
ev-database.uk
ThorntonRunner Pre-facelift MG5 (LR Exclusive). 61kWh, 57kWh usable
ev-database.org
Jenelopy BYD Atto 60.5kWh usable
ev-database.org
Runningbear21 Jaguar i-Pace 84.7kWh
ev-database.org

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.