Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

11 lurkers | 140 watchers
6 Sep
9:45am, 6 Sep 2024
24,164 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
So much for you all to deal with sending hugs and strength to all.

I dread the day we are in similar situations. My fil builds model boats, a couple of years ago he was tasked with selling some from a friend who’d died made me think we will have that to deal with at some point. He’s very talented and fortunately organised but the garage is rammed with important stuff.

The card thing is something I’ve inherited from my mum (brother also) and I’ve never looked back at them and do I need to see a card in 10yrs time to remind myself my parents sent me a card when I was 7? Or my husband sent me a card for an anniversary - I must get rid! No idea who has this to deal with when we’re not here and intent is to downsize in a few years so should start really!
6 Sep
9:53am, 6 Sep 2024
3,959 posts
  •  
Big_G
jabberknit, really sorry to read your story. Yes, some of these things are very emotive. I’ve come across a couple of cards Dad had bought for our son (his grandson). I think I’ve mentioned it once or twice on the forum but our son was stillborn, and then my wife died shortly afterwards, unexpectedly. It’s coming up to 10 years ago now and I’ve a great life now, but then I came across this card he’d purchased, and it got to me. And in the garage there is a scooter and other things for young kids that he’d got in preparation (I did know about these). It’s tough. I need to deal with it though as there’s no one else, which is why I will just take my time (I’ve no siblings and no kids).

jda, that’s a good way of looking at it. Problem is I’m not quite there yet, as I think I’m in a phase of wanting to keep his memory alive. Rationally, I know doing that isn’t really related to just his stuff, but I think it’ll be a couple of sifts through before I deal with certain things. I’ll get there though.
6 Sep
9:56am, 6 Sep 2024
43,301 posts
  •  
Mrs Jigs (Luverlylegs)
I was a card collector (still am a bit) every now and then I get really ruthless and clear out most.
6 Sep
9:57am, 6 Sep 2024
43,302 posts
  •  
Mrs Jigs (Luverlylegs)
Some very sad posts above, bug hugs xx
6 Sep
9:58am, 6 Sep 2024
24,166 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
Sorry to hear of your very sad situation big_g very tough dealing with it all yourself. Just take your time there’s no timescale to grief ((()))
6 Sep
10:02am, 6 Sep 2024
27,363 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Whenever it’s time for birthday or Father’s Day cards to be taken down they appear on my bedside table.

They stay there for a few months then I bin them. There was one I wish I had held on to but I didn’t. I still recall what it said and why I loved it so much though.
6 Sep
10:02am, 6 Sep 2024
6,344 posts
  •  
TheScribbler
Mr S keeps cards and many other things and that’s encouraged me to keep some too. One thing that I have seen is that they can be scanned into books. That could be a nice way of sorting them for older people.

I’m pleased that I have letters and cards from my Nana who died some years ago. But I don’t need them to have the memories.

I haven’t done any decluttering after our visit to the in-laws. Feels like a winter job.

Books - oof, that got me right in the feels. I’m never going to re-read all the ones I have and no one else will care about them as much as I do.

Maybe time for a clear out and at least make a list of any that are significant. Though I doubt even my signed copies are valuable.

I’m tempted to request a Viking style send off, with a symbolic burning of my library. Except I could never condone the burning of a book!
6 Sep
10:03am, 6 Sep 2024
4,548 posts
  •  
jabberknit
Sad to hear of your losses too, Big_G, how difficult for you to deal with all that.
6 Sep
10:05am, 6 Sep 2024
6,345 posts
  •  
TheScribbler
Also sending love to @Big_G
6 Sep
10:10am, 6 Sep 2024
69,592 posts
  •  
LindsD
Take good care of yourself Big_G. That's hard. And hugs to all.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.