Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

8 lurkers | 140 watchers
6 Sep
9:08pm, 6 Sep 2024
11,598 posts
  •  
Fields
It seems things change and become different but still complex
6 Sep
10:38pm, 6 Sep 2024
18,100 posts
  •  
Garfield
Just made an inventory of what they want...quite a lot of it, including several chests of drawers, cookware, bedding/linen and a good number of what might be termed collectibles. I just need to check the phone they were talking about...if it's the landline of the house, that will have to stay!! :P

So far, they don't want the beds and a couple of tables. We're taking the books away to be donated to St Vincent de Paul in Ottawa. Just need to find a way to get rid of a defunct dishwasher that's never worked in the time I've known hubby (over 30 years now). Plus the washing machine in the basement will need to be disposed of. Not sure how we're going to get that out of the basement as there's a very narrow staircase up to the main level of the house.
7 Sep
6:17am, 7 Sep 2024
7,381 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
I'd set your stall out quite early Garfield and ask if they have a price in mind or want to wait and discuss it when you're there. I guess you could say that you are happy for them to have some things for free (if you are) but were planning on selling others.

Baz - as long as you and Mrs Baz are comfortable with your own decisions and behaviour towards BiL you can't do anything. He's behaving like a prize plonker.
7 Sep
8:11am, 7 Sep 2024
18,104 posts
  •  
Garfield
This lady seems to want a LOT of stuff...all of the large pieces of furniture - chests of drawers, a couple of wardrobes, etc.

I have some photos of the house when the estate agent had a walk through a month ago, so it serves as a good aide memoire of what's in there.
7 Sep
9:55am, 7 Sep 2024
28,704 posts
  •  
Lizzie W
Having got the APs to start the process of moving to a little retirement house, they've suddenly deteriorated. I'm sure anxiety is a part of it, but I'm not sure how long it would be practical to live in their own home even if it's smaller & with care coming in. A care home doesn't feel appropriate yet but dad has started falling - he's lost confidence. GP is referring to falls team but I don't think he'll realistically get stronger. They're anxious about any upheaval, so try not to move multiple times. Don't know what I'm doing.
jda
7 Sep
11:29am, 7 Sep 2024
17,763 posts
  •  
jda
Don’t beat yourself up, it’s always a moving target and you just have to muddle through. You’ll probably do a bunch of stuff, then “event” happens and it’s all out the window.
7 Sep
11:31am, 7 Sep 2024
69,628 posts
  •  
LindsD
Hugs Lizzie. Text me if it helps xx
7 Sep
1:14pm, 7 Sep 2024
7,382 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Lizzie - as jda says you can't plan for every eventuality. How far are they through the moving process? Would looking for a flat in one of the complexes that offer everything from independent living to 24 hour care be an option?
7 Sep
7:03pm, 7 Sep 2024
2,936 posts
  •  
Snail
Yesterday visited my dad (aged 87) in his local hospital (post fracturing his hip and now beginning rehab to enable return home). I've seen my share of hospitals but not really when aged 1-21 when I lived with mum and dad. So worked out that my previous visit was when I was born!!
7 Sep
7:39pm, 7 Sep 2024
69,638 posts
  •  
LindsD
Wow!

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.