Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

10 lurkers | 140 watchers
6 Sep
11:03am, 6 Sep 2024
7,376 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Everyone has to deal with things in their own time and in their own way.

Hugs to all in need.
6 Sep
11:38am, 6 Sep 2024
18,089 posts
  •  
Garfield
Good luck Baz, the BIL situation sounds challenging/awkward.

Hubby's an only child, which makes some things easier (no awkward siblings/in laws to deal with) but house emptying harder as it's just me and him. MIL took care of my dad issues, my mother had nothing to deal with and stepsister dealt with stepmother's business.

Hugs to those in need.
6 Sep
1:04pm, 6 Sep 2024
18,091 posts
  •  
Garfield
Ugh, stepmother took care of my dad issues is what the above should have said, not MIL!!
CK2
6 Sep
1:22pm, 6 Sep 2024
2,778 posts
  •  
CK2
That sounds tough Big_G with so many memories flooding back.

My mum was a librarian and her house is full of books so that’ll definitely be the biggest challenge when she dies. I like the idea of a visit from a second hand book seller.
6 Sep
8:23pm, 6 Sep 2024
18,097 posts
  •  
Garfield
On the plus side, MIL's friend knows someone who is moving into a place and took them around the house and they want a lot of stuff from it. We might be needing that skip a bit less.

We just want to know if they're going to pay for it - not huge amounts but money to go into MIL's coffers to pay for extras that she'll need in the home.
6 Sep
8:24pm, 6 Sep 2024
27,365 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
The chat from the nurse tonight suggests they will be heading towards care home as the recommendation as overnight care is required.

On the one hand that is a relief the decision is made for us. On the other I can see issues ahead

We have left two birthday cards for him, one from us one from his mum. Ours was opened and left behind.
6 Sep
8:33pm, 6 Sep 2024
77,438 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
Oh Baz , he sounds a piece of work but as long as the decisions being made for your MIL is not coming from you. By the sounds of things even the hospital are getting a feel for what he is like.

Garfield, maybe need to ask and say even if it was a nominal amount it would all help. We just didn’t have time to do all that type of things which meant some good furniture was being tipped :-(
6 Sep
8:36pm, 6 Sep 2024
18,098 posts
  •  
Garfield
I'll get hubby to ask the person. It just feels like a piranha feeding frenzy...the friend sent several lists of lots of stuff - which is good and will save us a lot of trouble. Life could be worse though...we will be taking a lot of books to Ottawa, as the local library doesn't take books any more!

We also need to bear in mind that we're going to be there for 4 weeks and need dishes to eat with...they also wanted a wooden stepladder that I'll be using to empty things out of the kitchen cupboards, that are quite high up.
6 Sep
8:38pm, 6 Sep 2024
77,442 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
If they want it they can wait for it.
6 Sep
8:43pm, 6 Sep 2024
18,099 posts
  •  
Garfield
Exactly... :) We can get rid of the things we don't need, also need to go through all sorts of stuff. One of the chairs they want is the chair MIL wants to have in the home, so they won't be getting that one!

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.