Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

5 lurkers | 140 watchers
6 Mar
9:26am, 6 Mar 2024
7,335 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
So sorry lammo - I can understand that sense of relief though
6 Mar
9:28am, 6 Mar 2024
52,334 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
So sorry lammo
6 Mar
9:40am, 6 Mar 2024
26,722 posts
  •  
GimmeMedals
Sorry for you loss, lammo. I'm also a lurker and find the thread supportive, reassuring and helpful. I agree with TR about the sense of relief.
jda
6 Mar
10:05am, 6 Mar 2024
16,635 posts
  •  
jda
I 93rd the comments about the thread being so useful!

(ok I didn't really count to 92).

Additionally, sorry for your loss lammo.

FiL seems reasonably content, not entirely aware of where he is or why. I'm not sure how I should feel really. It was one of the care home managers on Monday who said "oh he'll not walk again" which was literally the first time anyone had suggested such a thing through this whole saga, though right from the start it had certainly crossed our minds that he might struggle to get around. But as I said before, he went into hospital as a relatively fit elderly man, still living fairly independently, walking up to a mile at a time. All he did was break his elbow, and although we were told various things about how they were going to pin it and maybe replace it or whatever, no-one bothered to say "oh by the way while we are busy fixing his elbow he'll be flat on his back for 8 weeks and lose so much leg strength that he'll never stand up again".

The first thing he said to me when we saw him on Monday was "Are we going for a walk now?" But he didn't actually make any attempt to get up and his mental capacity is pretty much gone. He would have told us he went for a walk just yesterday.

My wife is away all week on a course so didn't speak to the consultant yet, I'm not sure if she has the energy or not. He seems fairly content and well looked after, and it was always going to end up like this one way or another.
3M
6 Mar
10:26am, 6 Mar 2024
23,533 posts
  •  
3M
Sorry to hear that, lammo.

That's a bit of a sad story, jda. Although I suppose if he's comfortable and content, maybe it's better than it could have been.
6 Mar
10:29am, 6 Mar 2024
10,487 posts
  •  
minardi
Very sorry for your loss lammo x

That is sad jda but as long as he's reasonably content and not suffering, it's worse for everyone else on the outside looking in.
6 Mar
10:36am, 6 Mar 2024
6,989 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Condolences lammo. I'm glad you found the thread supportive.

That's not good jda. There was no reason that physios couldn't have at least tried to keep him mobile whilst he was in hospital. Once elderly people go 'off their legs' it's very difficult to retrieve the situation - one of the reasons a lot of them with capacity will resist an admission if possible.
6 Mar
10:54am, 6 Mar 2024
49,532 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
jda, this might not be helpful, but my wife's mum was still driving at 80 and had a car accident and hurt her knee. She had an op and we just assumed she'd be out and well again. But the knee ops didn't go well, she was in hospital for months and when she came out in a wheel chair it was straight to a home. She went downhill in the home and didn't last long. Was quite a shock. To be honest, she probably shouldn't have been driving. But the impact after ops in hospital can be quite severe on an old person, it seems. Wishing your fil all the best.
6 Mar
11:07am, 6 Mar 2024
67,023 posts
  •  
LindsD
That seems so unnecessary jda.
6 Mar
11:26am, 6 Mar 2024
74,459 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
So sorry for your loss lammo and glad you felt the support from this thread.

Jda that a hard one. Glad he seems comfortable but surely they should have kept him mobile while in hospital as it wasn’t his leg he broke. Sad.

I’m still on this thread as we are not complete with dad’s stuff - far from it by the sounds of things but we have left it to the the Co-oP to do all the ground work.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.